Premed 101 Forums

Dropping a course and picking up an online course

jjsaidit

I have a question about dropping a course and a full course load. First, I would like to keep my full course load (10 half year courses, 5 full year), and I am not doing well in one of my courses, or feel as though I will not do well. The marks from the first midterm are not out yet, but I am confident it did not go well. As such, I am going to have to drop the class, before I even get the marks back. My drop date for the class is Monday (without academic penalty). After I do this, I will pick up a course from Athabasca and will work on it throughout the year. Will that be fine, as long as I have 4 courses in my school this semester, and 5 next semester.

Breakdown:

Semester I - four courses

Semester II - five courses

Online - one course (worked on throughout both semesters)

Will this count as a full course load for all schools?

I have a question about dropping a course and a full course load. First, I would like to keep my full course load (10 half year courses, 5 full year), and I am not doing well in one of my courses, or feel as though I will not do well. The marks from the first midterm are not out yet, but I am confident it did not go well. As such, I am going to have to drop the class, before I even get the marks back. My drop date for the class is Monday (without academic penalty). After I do this, I will pick up a course from Athabasca and will work on it throughout the year. Will that be fine, as long as I have 4 courses in my school this semester, and 5 next semester.

Breakdown:

Semester I - four courses

Semester II - five courses

Online - one course (worked on throughout both semesters)

Will this count as a full course load for all schools?

My understanding is it will but you must make sure you finish that course before the summer etc.

just do 6 next semester and remove all possibility of being screwed over

That would make things very difficult for me. If I can start a course next month, or in December, it would give me more time and a balance, especially if that course is online and I can make my own schedule.

That would make things very difficult for me. If I can start a course next month, or in December, it would give me more time and a balance, especially if that course is online and I can make my own schedule.

I have done that in the past - the DE system like me pretty much take out one-two courses in Dec in the three weeks separating semesters and the typical light start to things when you get back. So I can tell you it can be done :)

Have you ever done a DE course before? If you have then I whole heartedly support your plan. If you have not I would suggest taking a long hard look at your study style before deciding that it would be easier. Some students take to DE like ducks to water, while others find it really hard not to have strict deadlines.

I am actually thinking about dropping a course this semester too... I did so bad on the first midterm.. I have never had a mark that low before. it was pretty depressing. and now i am seriously consider dropping it if the second midterm is just as bad.

my only concern is that i am applying this year and I am in third year. so if i drop this course and take another one either online or take 6 courses next semester... i am worried that some schools might say i dont have enough credit. i have 20 credits and i need 10 this year... so that would mean 5 courses each semester...

I am actually thinking about dropping a course this semester too... I did so bad on the first midterm.. I have never had a mark that low before. it was pretty depressing. and now i am seriously consider dropping it if the second midterm is just as bad.

my only concern is that i am applying this year and I am in third year. so if i drop this course and take another one either online or take 6 courses next semester... i am worried that some schools might say i dont have enough credit. i have 20 credits and i need 10 this year... so that would mean 5 courses each semester...

4/6 is the same as 5/5

no schools will give a damn

Have the same problem, I'm third year going to apply this summer, but my breakdown was already 4/6 and I need to have that 10 courses in order to be able to apply to Western (full course load during last 2 years). So if I drop one of the courses I'm pretty sure I can hardly get B+ which is killing my chances to apply this year, so there is no way to manage 7 courses in next term. I'm lost.... and tomorrow is the last day to drop the course without academic penalty.

Archived