Premed 101 Forums

How Carving is Marked

Also, in terms of smoothness/flatness of planes... are you guys able to carve a flat plane in one slice? When I carve a plane, it takes me a couple slices to smoothen the plane. It feels smooth, and looks smooth from a profile view. But then, when I hold it up to the light, the reflection off the surface shows it not being carved with one slice. Anyone else have this before?

Do flutes have to be fairly slender as we move up? I tend to have wide flues with a wide tip (not to the point where a whole bunch touches the line). I was wondering if this is undesirable.

The carving is marked on the basis of smooth planes, sharp angles, accuracy of the overall orientation of the soap pattern, and appropriate measurements.

All the carvings are ranked against each other (i.e. lined up best to worst) and given the appropriate "grade".

It can take several gentle swipes with the blade to get a smooth plane.

The flutes should have a very narrow tip, a wide tip is undesirable because it means more soap was removed than necessary. To get the narrow tip, start your blade at the base of the flute and carve towards you only! Do NOT start at the narrow tip and carve down to the base of the flute, this will always cause a wide tip!

M

@ aclementine - There's a marking guide in the topstar carving book, it isn't official CDA but it gives a good idea of how it's marked.

@ uwodent2014 - I have realized a while ago that you always talk about Topstar. Even if the thread isn't about DAT, you always manage to bring Topstar in to the conversation, the fact that Topstar sells crap to help you with interviews or whatever. If you haven't noticed, I am ignoring your feedback on purpose, and I hope others do as well. You are nothing but a marketer for Topstar.

The carving is marked on the basis of smooth planes, sharp angles, accuracy of the overall orientation of the soap pattern, and appropriate measurements.

All the carvings are ranked against each other (i.e. lined up best to worst) and given the appropriate "grade".

It can take several gentle swipes with the blade to get a smooth plane.

The flutes should have a very narrow tip, a wide tip is undesirable because it means more soap was removed than necessary. To get the narrow tip, start your blade at the base of the flute and carve towards you only! Do NOT start at the narrow tip and carve down to the base of the flute, this will always cause a wide tip!

M

This is an awesome post. Thank you Mare.

Dude, I'm a 5th yr biological sciences major at the University of Windsor. Second time writing the DAT this Nov in Toronto. First time scored a 8 on the carving and it kept me from getting interviews and thus doing my 5th yr (my gpa is strong - 3.87ish and I got 18-22 on the other sections of the DAT). So yeah I recommend on buying the topstar book and doing well on your carving - I just figured people could learn from my mistake but if you want to ignore me cause you're a carving god have at er buddy.

Archived