Premed 101 Forums

Mixed messages from markers

AndreaM

I hate it when I get an assignment back and the only negative comments I get are "you should have expanded more on point 'x'", but there is a strictly enforced word limit and I was at the limit (750 words to summarize two research articles and give my opinions on them). So either I go over the word limit and lose 10% or don't expand enough on the topic and lose 10%. I asked the marker about this and his very useful advice was to try to be less wordy :rolleyes:

I hate it when I get an assignment back and the only negative comments I get are "you should have expanded more on point 'x'", but there is a strictly enforced word limit and I was at the limit (750 words to summarize two research articles and give my opinions on them). So either I go over the word limit and lose 10% or don't expand enough on the topic and lose 10%. I asked the marker about this and his very useful advice was to try to be less wordy :rolleyes:

Ugh....that's no fun!

Don't they know you are a pre-med?! ;)

I hear ya. I almost got into a fight with a prof once. On the assignment I handed in, the word limit was 400 words. I did 399 and ofc explained as much as I possibly could within the word limit but then she is like wait you should have elaborated on this point blah blah blah. And then I asked her to show me an example that can earn me 100% on that assignment. She pulled out her answer and it was like a FULL page single spaced 12 font (a blind man can tell its more than 400 words so I asked her if she know that she set the word limit at 400 then she realized her mistake and bs'd at me but still didn't give me the mark (Her bs is that many other students answered the questions fully - most likely over the word limit) and so she expected the answer to be the way it is. Then I asked what if someone went over the word limit what would she do, she just said nothing. The word limit is only a guide line bs. If I had gotten 1 more mark on that assignment I would have gained 0.3 of my overall mark and I was at 89.3 for the course so it could have been a 90 in that course. I was pretty mad.

T.A's can be your best friend or your worst enemy. They're usually the latter of the two. There's been several occasions where i've wanted to ***** out the T.A's but figured going to see the Dean wouldn't be worth it:p

There's one dude i'll never forget, his name is Caleb and he was correcting my 1st year biology labs. When I got my formal back he deducted 10 marks off my lab because it "felt too much like a journal article from Popular Science and not enough like a report". I asked him what the difference was but he didn't answer me, he just told me to "work on my writing skills to make a nicer report. The stupid lab coordinator wasn't much help either.

T.A's can be your best friend or your worst enemy. They're usually the latter of the two. There's been several occasions where i've wanted to ***** out the T.A's but figured going to see the Dean wouldn't be worth it:p

There's one dude i'll never forget, his name is Caleb and he was correcting my 1st year biology labs. When I got my formal back he deducted 10 marks off my lab because it "felt too much like a journal article from Popular Science and not enough like a report". I asked him what the difference was but he didn't answer me, he just told me to "work on my writing skills to make a nicer report. The stupid lab coordinator wasn't much help either.

lol. 1st year bio TAs...good times. Pretty much everyone failed the lab where you had to collect computer data on animal populations (my year they were butterflies) because it looked like everyone in the class worked on the data together, when in reality we used the same computer program...the one they told us to use. Needless to say a large group of us (about 50) went to the dean of science.

Archived