Premed 101 Forums

What downtown (u of t area) hospital is a good place to volunteer?

I would like a lot of contact with patients and not doing filing and stuff. I would preferably like to help older people

There's Grace Hospital (near Yonge and Bloor). I signed up for volunteering there and should be starting next month. It deals with elderly patients and there are high chances of interaction with patients.

In London I've been fairly involved with the Canadian Cancer Society.... I know they have an even bigger program in Toronto.

depending on the position, you can get a fair amount of patient interaction.

I'm in the Chemotherapy Suite, and among other things I pass out snacks and sit and chat while people receive Chemo... there are also people that stand by kiosks and help with surveying the patients. They help the patients fill them out and identify how they are doing on measures of comfort, appetite, etc...

Either way, I've picked up 3 different positions with Cancer society and all of them have had varying degrees of patient interaction, some within the medical setting and some outside. I would recommend it, if you feel comfortable with a patient population that varies from determined and enthusiastic to very ill and pessimistic and everywhere in between.

If you want very flexible volunteer-shifts, I recommend Toronto Western Hospital. Its at Bathurst and Dundas. I used to do 7pm to 10pm shifts at the EMRG department there. And you can get a lot of patient contact in EMRG and Patient Visiting.

:P Another weird coincidence. I used to do night shift ER volunteering too.

Archived