Premed 101 Forums

Full Circle

I have recently decided to apply to med school after a long very non-traditional approach and I could really use some advice.

Ok, so I have a BSc in Neuroscience/International Dev Studies. My whole undegrad (and high school), I was sure I was going to study medicine. In fact, I was all set to apply after my degree but I really wanted to see the world first so I took a "year off" and did some travelling and teaching in Asia. During that year, I got really excited about a program at Queen's called Outdoor and Experiential Education. While overseas, I applied and got in and came back to Canada to complete my BEd degree. So I started a career as an international teacher, teaching at accredited international schools. Amazing experience and I learned so much. I also got a MSc degree along the way.

So now after nearly 10 years teaching, I feel like I'm a pretty successful educator. I currently live in Malaysia. Now, I've had an epiphany recently to apply to medicine and that fire in my belly has been reignited. I know I would love the experience. Now I want to apply to medicine (again) and hence the full circle.

I'm now 32 years old now so I almost feel like I've missed the boat a bit but I think that I have some skills that would make me a great physician. I really relate well with people and kids and have had tons of leadership roles.

Here are my questions. Am I too old for med school? Which school should I apply to?

I haven't actually lived in Canada for 10 years so wouldn't qualify as a resident of any province. I grew up in the maritimes so I should be able to qualify as a maritime resident. Thus, I could apply to Dalhousie.

What do you think (if you are even still reading this long ramble) would be my best chance?

My undergrad cumulative GPA was around a 3.0 cumulative but last 2 years was around a 3.5

My BEd was 4.0

My MSc was 4.0

I need to write my MCATs so have been studying for that and my goal is to get 10s.

Do I have a shot? Where should I move to next year when I move back to Canada?

I have recently decided to apply to med school after a long very non-traditional approach and I could really use some advice.

Ok, so I have a BSc in Neuroscience/International Dev Studies. My whole undegrad (and high school), I was sure I was going to study medicine. In fact, I was all set to apply after my degree but I really wanted to see the world first so I took a "year off" and did some travelling and teaching in Asia. During that year, I got really excited about a program at Queen's called Outdoor and Experiential Education. While overseas, I applied and got in and came back to Canada to complete my BEd degree. So I started a career as an international teacher, teaching at accredited international schools. Amazing experience and I learned so much. I also got a MSc degree along the way.

So now after nearly 10 years teaching, I feel like I'm a pretty successful educator. I currently live in Malaysia. Now, I've had an epiphany recently to apply to medicine and that fire in my belly has been reignited. I know I would love the experience. Now I want to apply to medicine (again) and hence the full circle.

I'm now 32 years old now so I almost feel like I've missed the boat a bit but I think that I have some skills that would make me a great physician. I really relate well with people and kids and have had tons of leadership roles.

Here are my questions. Am I too old for med school? Which school should I apply to?

I haven't actually lived in Canada for 10 years so wouldn't qualify as a resident of any province. I grew up in the maritimes so I should be able to qualify as a maritime resident. Thus, I could apply to Dalhousie.

What do you think (if you are even still reading this long ramble) would be my best chance?

My undergrad cumulative GPA was around a 3.0 cumulative but last 2 years was around a 3.5

My BEd was 4.0

My MSc was 4.0

I need to write my MCATs so have been studying for that and my goal is to get 10s.

Do I have a shot? Where should I move to next year when I move back to Canada?

You are not too old for medicine. Only you decide whether you feel young or old for something.

You would not be considered a maritime applicant according to Dalhousie's criteria for determining residence status. You need to live in the maritimes for 12 consecutive months.

Most med schools do not give much credit for graduate work and do not calculate them into the GPA calculation. You will need to review each med schools website for this to see where you are most competitive though your living outside of Canada for so long cant be a great think in determining residence for some of the med schools that are very geographically protective.

Where should you move back? well you could move in with me and do some cooking and cleaning for me at no pay :D I would say that where to move is up to you after extensive research and consideration not based on advice from strangers called 'Real Beef' :cool:

Beef

Archived