Premed 101 Forums

AMCAS letter upload VS. Interfolio

I'm trying to figure out the perks of interfolio versus AMCAS letter upload. I know interfolio you can have for multiple years whereas AMCAS you will only have for one year. However, wouldn't it be easier to do it through AMCAS so you just select which letters to go to which schools, instead of having another letter carrier independent of the process?

As well, if you do it through AMCAS, it is free to send it to schools, correct? So if you're applying to like $20, that is $120 saved right there. The $120 isn't a big deal at all, but just putting it out there!

Help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I'm trying to figure out the perks of interfolio versus AMCAS letter upload. I know interfolio you can have for multiple years whereas AMCAS you will only have for one year. However, wouldn't it be easier to do it through AMCAS so you just select which letters to go to which schools, instead of having another letter carrier independent of the process?

As well, if you do it through AMCAS, it is free to send it to schools, correct? So if you're applying to like $20, that is $120 saved right there. The $120 isn't a big deal at all, but just putting it out there!

Help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I can't verify the costs, but I think you have it right.

The benefit of Interfolio is that you can leave your letters there for multiple years, so if you need to reapply, then it is helpful since they're there!

AMCAS can send your letters to each school, but if you reapply, then the letters are removed.

Bottom line: If you think you're going to reapply, use Interfolio, as it'll probably save you trouble in the future...but otherwise, go with AMCAS and ask your letter writers to save your letter on file (in case you need it again next year)...although I hope not!

I can't verify the costs, but I think you have it right.

The benefit of Interfolio is that you can leave your letters there for multiple years, so if you need to reapply, then it is helpful since they're there!

AMCAS can send your letters to each school, but if you reapply, then the letters are removed.

Bottom line: If you think you're going to reapply, use Interfolio, as it'll probably save you trouble in the future...but otherwise, go with AMCAS and ask your letter writers to save your letter on file (in case you need it again next year)...although I hope not!

Word of caution about reusing old reference letters: they may be date stamped so using a 2009 dated letter in 2010 may not help your cause. I have read on at least one school's site that old letters are more detrimental. Interfolio is probably a better idea if you are applying for AMCAS plus Texas. Otherwise, there isn't much advantage for one over the other. In a sense, applying directly through AMCAS reduces a "middleman" step and is a surefire way that nothing gets screwed up if the AMCAS/Interfolio system makes a mistake. I opened an account and paid the fee, yet all my references given the option, sent in their letters via AMCAS. They probably wanted to make sure the letter was in directly and that it actually arrived.

Edit: and about the costs, the amount to send letters isn't THAT much as long as you aren't sending a ton of letters. Isn't it something like $5/letter? AMCAS only lets you submit 10 letters, so you would cap out at $50 max plus account fee.

Edit: and about the costs, the amount to send letters isn't THAT much as long as you aren't sending a ton of letters. Isn't it something like $5/letter? AMCAS only lets you submit 10 letters, so you would cap out at $50 max plus account fee.

What do you mean AMCAS only lets you submit 10 letters? You can upload 10 letters, but then send as many as you like, correct? Like if you sending to 15 schools, at 4 letters each, it will be 60 letters total.

What do you mean AMCAS only lets you submit 10 letters? You can upload 10 letters, but then send as many as you like, correct? Like if you sending to 15 schools, at 4 letters each, it will be 60 letters total.

Ok. I see you are slightly confused. You can upload 10 letters max yes. But all your letters submitted to the schools go through AMCAS (except Texas).

Only AMCAS: Letter writer -> submit to AMCAS -> student assigns letters from AMCAS to schools.

Interfolio: Letter writer -> submit to Interfolio -> student submits letter to AMCAS (one time cost per letter) -> student assigns letters from AMCAS to schools

Does this clarify things?

Ok. I see you are slightly confused. You can upload 10 letters max yes. But all your letters submitted to the schools go through AMCAS (except Texas).

Only AMCAS: Letter writer -> submit to AMCAS -> student assigns letters from AMCAS to schools.

Interfolio: Letter writer -> submit to Interfolio -> student submits letter to AMCAS (one time cost per letter) -> student assigns letters from AMCAS to schools

Does this clarify things?

Yes!! It does! Thank you! I was under the impression that the letters went straight from interfolio to the school of your choice!

Thanks for clarifying that! :) I think it is best to stick to AMCAS uploading system though, because as you said, you wouldn't want a year old letter for next year (which I hopefully won't have to do)!

Yes!! It does! Thank you! I was under the impression that the letters went straight from interfolio to the school of your choice!

Thanks for clarifying that! :) I think it is best to stick to AMCAS uploading system though, because as you said, you wouldn't want a year old letter for next year (which I hopefully won't have to do)!

Use Interfolio.

Some schools dont use AMCAS.

Archived