Premed 101 Forums

Greencard question

incognito

kinda random,

If I went to an international school (caribs) as a canadian without a greencard, but then obtain a greencard during or before fourth year, what difference will it make?

Will it make it easier for me to get residency in the us from caribs?

How about if I got my greencard during my schooling in a us medical school as a canadian citizen? What difference would that make? Any if residencies?

kinda random,

If I went to an international school (caribs) as a canadian without a greencard, but then obtain a greencard during or before fourth year, what difference will it make?

How about if I got my greencard during my schooling in a us medical school as a canadian citizen? What difference would that make? Any if residencies?

Are you currently in the process of getting a green card? Do you have a sponsor?

kinda random,

You will need the green card before fourth year (because the application process starts early in fourth year).

In short, it will be easier in the sense that:

residency in US from caribs with green card >> residency in the US from caribs without green card

Having a green card will allow you to apply to certain residences that only accept US citizens or permanent residents (so it increases the number of places you can apply to). However, I hear that getting residency in the US from the caribbean is really difficult, so although a green card may help, I don't know how easy it will be.

I am no expert, but I remember reading posts about many hoops that canadians had to jump through in order to do residency in the US (for example, the school having to go through the process of getting you the proper visa) and I remember someone saying that some schools were pretty blunt at the interviews in saying they preferred american students because they did not have the added visa problems.

So from that point of view, a green card would be helpful. But that is strictly from a canadian-american citizen standpoint.

As far as the hurdles of every carib med student trying to land a US residency (i.e. stigma..), the green card wont change much...

You will need the green card before fourth year (because the application process starts early in fourth year).

In short, it will be easier in the sense that:

residency in US from caribs with green card >> residency in the US from caribs without green card

Having a green card will allow you to apply to certain residences that only accept US citizens or permanent residents (so it increases the number of places you can apply to). However, I hear that getting residency in the US from the caribbean is really difficult, so although a green card may help, I don't know how easy it will be.

I am no expert, but I remember reading posts about many hoops that canadians had to jump through in order to do residency in the US (for example, the school having to go through the process of getting you the proper visa) and I remember someone saying that some schools were pretty blunt at the interviews in saying they preferred american students because they did not have the added visa problems.

So from that point of view, a green card would be helpful. But that is strictly from a canadian-american citizen standpoint.

As far as the hurdles of every carib med student trying to land a US residency (i.e. stigma..), the green card wont change much...

I thought that if you don't drop out in the first 2 years and are an american citizen, then you can probably find a residency? I mean, most of them are like family meds or something like that though, but nonetheless.

Archived