Premed 101 Forums

Interested in ENT

Hello all,

I am a 1st year med student and I am wondering if anyone has advice on how to get into an ENT residency. I know it is competitive, but what kinds of things are they looking for? Is it mostly based on interview? Research? Electives? Appreciate any advice I can get!

Thanks

I'm applying to ENT this year, so I'm by no means an expert. Just as confused about the whole thing as you are.

However, I'd say the following are important:

Pre-clinical

Good preclinical academic performance (scholarships and awards, etc.)

Some research (may or may not be ENT-related)

Explore other specialities to make sure ENT is what you want

Clerkship

Good clerkship performance

Being likable on ENT electives (not being uber-keen and annoying)

Some research - ENT-related (try to get a case report, publication, presentation, etc.)

Reference letters from ENT staff obtained from the above

Since you're of the super keen variety of ENT-keeners, might as well take advantage of your early interest now and get a faculty mentor - i.e. research supervisor, shadow this person, etc. and ultimately get a strong reference letter from them in 4th year. Also, you can see if there are residents that are willing to let you hang out with them on call, etc. They're a really good resource for good places to do electives, potential research projects, and may ultimately have a say in whether the residency committee should consider you or not. However, do keep in might that depending on your personality, one's welcome can be worn out if you show your face too much and too early.

Archived