Premed 101 Forums

Does Mcgill prefer marianopolis students than others?

Premed0.o

Hello I am just wondering if McGill 'favors' marianopolis students.. I've heard that last year 34 people from mariaonpolis got into Premed and the other eng. 5 cegeps didnt even have 34 people get in altogether... is this true? and about how many people from Dawson get accepted each year? i am getting worrieed

McGill does not favour Marianopolis students. And if I had to do it over again. I would have gone to Dawson, not Marianopolis, and my chances would have improved greatly to get into med from Cegep, instead of being in UG at the moment. Do not worry and do not follkow the crowd if Marian. accepts you, it will be a lot tougher and you are not enhancing your chances no matter what you believe. This is a pivitol decision!

McGill doesn't favor mariano students or students from any other cegep but I don't agree with you future_doc... the education you receive at Dawson is not comparable to Marianopolis. When I arrived at McGill, my education in terms of quality and quantity could not even compare to that of my friends from Brebeuf or Marianopolis. Sure, my R-score was better but in the end very few people from Dawson managed to get into med.

BTW a lot less people get into med from Dawson than Mariano (despite the fact that Dawson is an enormous cegep) but that has nothing to do with McGill having a bias. It simply has to do with the fact that most students from Mariano have stronger academic and probably extracurricular backgrounds than people from Dawson.

In any case, don't let these useless statistics bog you down... just do what YOU have to do in order to get in and you will at least be given the opportunity to shine at the interview.

I hear you Dr Strangelove. My grades were not competitive at M arian. for med-pore at McGill, whereas I believe (but do not know) they would have been better at Dawson./ For sure, Marian. was challenging and I learned (the hard way) especially that absence continuous aand hard work at studies, you simply will not be competitive for med-pre at McGill. So, I pulled my socks up, changed my habits and ever since, I consider my studies my "fulltime job", I am a straight A student not b/c I am bright but only b/c I work continuously as my top priority at my studies. I am now more mature, a better candidate and am glad (now) it has turned out as it has.

Archived