Premed 101 Forums

Microbiology and immunology @ Mcgill

shuks

I have. I got in (McGill med).

It's actually a great program with quite a few correlations with what you will be learning in med. I went into the IHI program (interdepartmental honours in immunology - look it up) after 1 year and was taking other classes as well as some MIMM classes. I think this was a little more clinically relevant (course-wise) and required a lot of research which always looks good on your application.

Think about the MCATs (I don't know, but I heard McGill doesn't require them anymore?...not sure) and think about doing well. Make sure you plan accordingly and stay on top of everything. Always pre-meditate every decision you take and make sure you relax too...

I don't know what else there is to say without much of an igniting question...so if there's anything else specific you would like to ask, go ahead...i'll try and sign on a few more times.

Best of luck.

Thanks for replying! :)

Do you think its possible to apply for the md-phd program offered in medicine after doing a bsc in micro. and immunology? And did you have to do alot of extracurricular activities while studying? I mean, did you manange to have enough time? Thanks once again!

Thanks for replying! :)

Do you think its possible to apply for the md-phd program offered in medicine after doing a bsc in micro. and immunology? And did you have to do alot of extracurricular activities while studying? I mean, did you manange to have enough time? Thanks once again!

Yeah of course it's possible. And if by some chance you don't get into the PhD program, you would still be considered for the MD as you have to be accepted into the MD program before they consider you for the PhD also. There are limited spots though (not sure how many). Personally though, I would recommend against this as the PhD is sort of a bastardized PhD that you're supposed to complete in 3 yrs...I would suggest doing a PhD separately if you really want to gain the most from it, but that's just my 2 cents on the matter.

As for the ECs...I realized that I was lacking in that respect when I got a nice rejection after applying from CEGEP because I had zero ECs...so I basically started in the first summer of my Bachelors...and I got in. There is not much time but if you budget it properly and stay consistent you'll be fine. Other B.Sc. programs will offer you more free time, and depending on how you structure your bachelors (minor/major/major-minor/double major/honours/etc) the free time you have will differ.

All the best.

Ok, i've applied for micro and immun last night, its all over with. do you know if they're selective in admissions? i mean, i currently have an r-score of 35.85 but this semester, i did horribly on organic chem and physics (im talking 70s).

over 31 = in usually

i say 31 because that's what it was back when i applied. have fun. you'll enjoy the program

Archived