Premed 101 Forums

Std Loans for med school and NSERC/SSHRC/CIHR funding

123coco

I'm going to be applying to med school next cycle, and were wondering if anyone has had a problem securing federal/provincial student loans because they received a significant research grant earlier that same year. I know there's LOCs out there but I would like to saturate the student loan option before dipping into credit...

tnx

________

Jaguar Xk6 Engine History

I'm going to be applying to med school next cycle, and were wondering if anyone has had a problem securing federal/provincial student loans because they received a significant research grant earlier that same year. I know there's LOCs out there but I would like to saturate the student loan option before dipping into credit...

tnx

I am not sure what you mean by significant - I worked a bit at the start of last year and managed to earn 20,000+ - they still gave me full OSAP this year. OSAP also tappers off slowly and still is significant at over 30,000. Which province are you in?

Depends if it's graduate school or postdoc funding. The first isn't reported as taxable income, the latter is, so with a graduate stipend you should be OK.

On student loan apps, you report all income. Doesn't matter if it's taxable or not. As mentioned before, though, the OP will be fine regardless.

Depends on the supervisor, country, etc., but $35-40K/yr is pretty standard for a starting post-doc.

Yeah at that range you would start to have reductions (not necessary totally gone though) OSAP coverage. Still it would depend on how much of it was paid out Jan-Sept the year before admittance. Of course with that salary hopefully some can be saved for tuition :)

Archived