Premed 101 Forums

Readings before starting med school

Quick question to all med students: I was accepted into med school last year and will be starting later this fall (took a deferral). Since I'm sitting around twiddling my thumbs, I was just wondering if there are any subjects for which I should grab intro books and start reading up on?

Someone recommended a good immunology primer. Can anyone second this or add to this?

Any time you put into medicine-related learning material now will be highly inefficient. There's no pressure to learn it, no opportunity to apply it, and consequetnly you'll likely forget most of it. Sure, you might learn a couple things but the effort won't be proportional to the time you put in. There's lots of time to learn everything you need to be a doctor in med school (regardless of your undergraduate background).

You're going to have the rest of your life to be a doctor and, trust me, it can become pretty all-encompassing for awhile. Take this opportunity to do things you've always wanted to do.

ps. I don't know a darn thing about immunology and couldn't care less. You'd be crazy to read a whole book about it!

Oh yeah, in addition if you feel your anatomy isn't great you may want to review that as well.

Here is a good website for learning muscles. http://www.rad.washington.edu/academics/academic-sections/msk/muscle-atlas

I'm sure there are many other websites out there. If you want a textbook I suggest Netter's.

NO!

Absolutely do not start studying or reading for study purposes now. Do not purchase or borrow any textbooks. Do potentially read about medicine-related topics - careers, research maybe, and the like. You will have so much time to study next year. There is absolutely no reason to do any of it now.

Archived