Premed 101 Forums

Grad School

Just wondering if some of you could help me clear some things up about grad school. It would be much appreciated.

1. I've read on other threads that one of the most important criteria for choosing a grad placement is a healthy lab environment but what would that environment be like? Generally, would it be better to choose a lab that has more phds and post docs so that they can give guidance when the supervisor is not around?

2. Does more lab members = greater lab productivity and funding?

3. What kind of questions should I ask the other grad students when I talk to them on the interview day?

4. Would it be good to ask the supervisor during the interview for the possibility of publications in his/her lab or would it be better to determine that through pubmed?

5. Also, I haven't applied for funding like NSERC because I didn't decide on going to grad school until recently. Do you think that supervisors would be inclined to withhold their offers because of that?

Thanks!

Just wondering if some of you could help me clear some things up about grad school. It would be much appreciated.

1. I've read on other threads that one of the most important criteria for choosing a grad placement is a healthy lab environment but what would that environment be like? Generally, would it be better to choose a lab that has more phds and post docs so that they can give guidance when the supervisor is not around?

2. Does more lab members = greater lab productivity and funding?

3. What kind of questions should I ask the other grad students when I talk to them on the interview day?

4. Would it be good to ask the supervisor during the interview for the possibility of publications in his/her lab or would it be better to determine that through pubmed?

5. Also, I haven't applied for funding like NSERC because I didn't decide on going to grad school until recently. Do you think that supervisors would be inclined to withhold their offers because of that?

Thanks!

Hopefully I can offer some sound advice, I'm almost finished my masters (about halfway done writing yay!).

1) A healthy lab environment in my mind includes first and foremost a good core of people. That starts with the supervisor and works its way all the way down to any research assistants. People that are positive, well adjusted, and have the same kind of goals in mind. That sounds obvious but you'd be surprised at how many 'dysfunctional lab families' there are. From there you move on to things like the lab being well equipped and your having proper support. You don't necessarily need post-docs present, but they definitely help. The same environment can be generated by having graduate students who are further along and an attentive supervisor.

That brings me to my next point- a 'cohort' is always nice. By that I mean its nice if your supervisor has some students who will be starting with you. I've experienced it both ways, when I first started there was another student who started with me but we weren't really in contact for the first half a year due to field work etc. It can be difficult getting used to grad school (its somewhat of a change!), and if you have someone to talk to about everything its much, much easier. I discovered that when we finally started classes... you realize that everyone is going through the same things as you and you have people to bounce ideas off of, present things to before your supervisor, and commiserate with (haha... but seriously :|).

2) No more lab members does not equal more lab productivity. It ALL depends on the supervisor and the people. I've seen supervisors who take on so many students that they can't even keep track of who's doing what and students complain that they're neglected. My supervisor has an individual relationship with all of his students and always has time for each of us. I think this makes the lab more productive simply because everything is relatively smooth. In addition the QUALITY of the work is much better. Quality is always better than quantity, especially when it comes to science.

3) I would ask them what their supervisor is like. Of course this would have to be in a private setting, and you're more likely to get truthful results if you get to talk to one or more of them one on one. Is he/she regularly available, attentive, friendly, etc. I'd ask them about the school, what they like and don't like.. what they wish they had known before making their decision. Ask how long it typically takes for graduate students to finish their studies. You'd be surprised at some answers, a masters is supposed to take 2 years, but some schools tend to take 3 or 4 years!

4) I would ask about publications if you're interested. Most supervisors (good ones anyways) should be quite open to questions like that.

5) Not having applied for funding all depends on the school and the supervisor. There are lots of supervisors who already have funding in place and are just looking for the right graduate student. One of the things you'll go over when you're talking with potential supervisors is funding sources. I wouldn't worry about it too much until you find a good supervisor match.

Hope that helps, if you have any other questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer. There are other veteran grad students on these boards who will be able to give you good advice as well!

Good luck!

Archived