Premed 101 Forums

Nserc

charmer08

it's also a simple application that doesn't take much time at all. you just have to find a prof who has an NSERC grant. depending on the lab you work in, the prof may work you like a dog (~40 hours/week) but the lab i did my NSERC in was much more laid back, so it really depends on the prof. i would just suggest that if ur gonna spend 4 months doing research, find a prof who does research that interests you

EDIT: you can also do NSERCs at other universities other than the one you attend for undergrad

Having a 9-5 job that pays moderately well in the summer isn't too bad. I do think the lab and supervisor can make or break your time there. It's a good way to get experience in the field and get paid to do it. If you get it, you are more likely to get it again another summer and for grad school (I know... everyone wants to be a doctor on here, but sometimes that takes a bit longer than intended).

depending on the lab you work in, the prof may work you like a dog (~40 hours/week) but the lab i did my NSERC in was much more laid back, so it really depends on the prof.

I wouldn't call working 40h/week working like a dog! :P From what I've seen, that's usually the absolute minimum.

I wouldn't call working 40h/week working like a dog! :P From what I've seen, that's usually the absolute minimum.

+1 to this. I probably worked about 40 hours a week on research the two summers in undergrad that I didn't get paid to do it. Once I had a job that paid me to do research for 20 hours a week, that bumped it up to about 60. We had to write an undergrad thesis, though, (this was in the States, so it wasn't even an "honors" degree or whatever it is that we have in Canada - I still haven't entirely figured out how undergrad degrees work here), so any less than that and I wouldn't have gotten my thesis done. And, yes, it was uphill both ways in 9 feet of snow... :D But that wasn't an NSERC, obviously, although I think the idea that you may end up working much more than full time still applies.

Archived