Premed 101 Forums

How feasible is it to pay back to tuition as a Canadian?

As feasible as it is for an American to pay it off (international tuition fees isn't higher). Ex: Darmouth claims most of its grads have a debt of $108k. Its supposedly one of the lowest in the country cause of their scholarships, interest-free institutional loans and all that. My friend at UofT is expected to graduate with a debt around that too. So the difference may not be as great as you might think. I mean sure you can graduate with $500k in debt if you wanted to, but its not like that is necessarily the way it has to be.

I think it's only the minority who have this nice 108K in debt. the majority will have around 50K left from undergrad and then add to it the medical school and you are easily left with 250K+ ... i think the published numbers of school indebtedness are skewed by those who don't borrow because they get scholarships, go military or get help from rich parents.. so we can never really know the true cost of education by those who have to borrow the whole amount or pretty much all of it

They have that kind of debt because they are eligible for federal loans which are, I am assuming, much more forgiving interest-wise. We don't have that luxury.

Yea but you can use Canadian gov't loans there too (at least OSAP). I'm not claiming I'm 100% right or anything. Its just what I roughly reckoned.

Archived