Premed 101 Forums

Volunteering in Haiti

Not sure what you're trying to get at but I'm already in medical school. What's with the cynicism?

LOL. Awesome.

Erm...I know a friend who just boarded the plane last night. He's a military medic though, so I'm unsure about civilian volunteers. Check out the Red Cross Web site?

Unless you are talking about something to file away for the future, I'd rethink. Even fully trained physicians are being turned away from volunteering right now, disaster relief is just a whole other beast and they need people with specific expertise. Not to mention that there is very limited housing/food/water available right now, as well as the fact that it is pretty dangerous there at this moment and security can't be provided for everyone.

President's Update

Volume 15, Number 3

January 18, 2010

Earthquake in Haiti

Dear Colleagues:

The Ontario Medical Association and our members throughout the province and abroad are deeply saddened and concerned for those impacted by the incredible devastation in Haiti. On behalf of all members, the OMA has made a donation to Medecins Sans Frontieres/Doctors Without Borders and the Canadian Red Cross.

Many physicians have contacted the OMA to express their willingness to contribute in any way to the international relief effort. Others have requested assistance in directing their support. We have been in contact with many of the relief agencies and other health organizations that are mobilizing support among their respective members and constituents.

At this time, it is our understanding that the foremost need is financial assistance. The OMA Board encourages members to donate to the Haiti relief effort.

The federal government has committed to match individual contributions to registered charities in support of humanitarian, recovery, and reconstruction efforts in response to the earthquake in Haiti, up to a total of $50 million. To confirm that a charity is registered and eligible for the federal matching, visit: http://www.acdi-cida.gc.ca/acdi-cida/ACDI-CIDA.nsf/eng/NAD-11511233-LTN

Today, the OMA spoke with a senior representative from Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)/Doctors Without Borders and we offered our support wherever possible.

Understandably, the organization is deluged with phone calls and web messages from concerned physicians and other health professionals around the world willing to volunteer.

We were advised that the situation on the ground in Haiti is extremely challenging and ever-changing. Medecins Sans Frontieres/Doctors Without Borders is currently assessing needs and prioritizing offers of assistance from physicians based on experience, particularly given the present circumstance in Haiti, and potential safety issues.

MSF does expect it will require some help. Priorities will likely be French-speaking physicians, orthopedic surgeons and anesthetists. The current situation related to water and communicable diseases might mean that this list may grow. Once the volunteer needs are determined, the OMA will issue an update to members.

Additional information about volunteer opportunities is posted on the Canadian Medical Association website:

http://www.cma.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/86696/la_id/1.htm

On behalf of the OMA Board of Directors, thank you to all members for your support. We will provide additional information as it becomes available.

Dr. Suzanne Strasberg

OMA President

Fine. Guess you're gonna put it on your residency app then.

The cynicism stems from the fact that you, as a medical student, won't be able to do much over there that would be helpful. If anything, you'd be a liability. Think about it: how much clinical experience do you have? What about emergency experience? Very little.(no medical student has enough clinical experience or knowledge to be competent for disaster relief work)

Use your head before you go into super-altruism mode. Just because you want to help doesn't mean you can.

I'm not sure why you are trying to put down or discourage people from wanting to help. Maybe my question was naive (as other posters have politely pointed out) but so what? I have never volunteered internationally and am new to the healthcare field, so I wasn't fully aware of the issues that a medical student might face.

And when there is such a tragedy and need as in Haiti, you're best response is to question peoples' motivation for wanting to help? C'mon dude....

I'm sure lots of us wish we could help. The photos and stories are overwhelming. I'm sure the need for physicians will not go away over the next couple years, and when things have stabilized a bit and we are more trained, there's no reason to not keep it in the back of your mind.

Good point, it sucks that we're medically useless (or at least I am) for the next few years. :)

I applaud your altruism. Anyone who bashes someone for having a quality like this probably doesn't have much of it himself - don't take the criticism badly.

It's true though, as a medical student we'd be pretty helpless on the ground. Money is the best way to go to help out right now. MSF is a good one! The federal government will match dollar-for-dollar on any donation made.

Our class organized a pledge sheet to go around during a lecture; over 60% of our class donated over $20, so with the match well over $2000 was raised in less than an hour. Maybe consider something like that?

Keep up the enthusiasm. :D

i'd also like to say that I also appreciate your altruism and your wish to be involved. We all start off somewhere, and i think the wish to be involved in itself is the starting point of maybe something in the future, and I also think that the remarks the other poster made were out of line.

but it is true, as a medical student, espcially early on, we're practically useless.

Fine. Guess you're gonna put it on your residency app then.

The cynicism stems from the fact that you, as a medical student, won't be able to do much over there that would be helpful. If anything, you'd be a liability. Think about it: how much clinical experience do you have? What about emergency experience? Very little.(no medical student has enough clinical experience or knowledge to be competent for disaster relief work)

Use your head before you go into super-altruism mode. Just because you want to help doesn't mean you can.

To be fair you can't possibly know this.

Just because your med school experience hasn't prepared you doesn't mean you'd automatically be a liability and you couldn't contribute. I'd hate to think the breadth of your usefulness consists of what you learn only after you've been accepted.

I've met a number of pre-meds who have volunteered with Red Cross disaster relief during other global emergencies and some of us went on to take tactical medic courses right up to the level of the EMCA test. We volunteered with Global Medic (some are holding their own in Haiti with GM right now) and a few went on to apply/get accepted to med school... others (myself included) have been/will be interviewing this year... basically there ARE people in medical school and certainly many people interviewing for medical school who would be able to contribute with liability comparable to that of our would-be colleagues.

Just because you didn't learn it in first year doesn't give you the right to pounce on someone saying "no medical student" can be competent for disaster relief. Sure my instance is anecdotal, but you have to concede people do all kinds of things before settling down into a career. Some people started off in "super-altruism" mode and then ended up in med school because it offers the opportunity to expand upon that. I'd hate to think that should anyone continue this experience it'd be automatically received as selfish resume building or foolish recklessness, especially by a complete stranger.

Archived