Premed 101 Forums

Why do people freak out for Carms?

It's a tough one. I know people probably can easily figure out who I am in the "real world" from what I post on here.

Besides, this department can't really exploit someone from out of province in the same way-they won't be in Edmonton beyond the length of the elective.

I also think people are missing the point of my post. It wasn't a "let me warn you about a certain dept at X school," it was a "let me tell you an example of ridiculous things that happen in the CaRMS game."

I also think people are missing the point of my post. It wasn't a "let me warn you about a certain dept at X school," it was a "let me tell you an example of ridiculous things that happen in the CaRMS game."

I think in general I've been told multiple times not to listen to any promises of "we'll rank you first" in any department.

Not only can they not legally make such a promise, but because it's illegal once you find out you're screwed there's nothing you can do about it (since if you complain, by being a willing partner in the original scheme you basically void your rights to participating in CaRMS ever again).

Also, to the OP. It's true that many specialties don't seem that competitive. But you have to remember there's a self-selection process that goes on constantly through medical school. Nobody applies to more than 2 or 3 specialties at most (e.g. 1 main and 1 backup), because by that time - they not only have a good idea of what they like to do but also of what programs they have a legitimate chance of getting accepted to. If you haven't done any electives in X then you're not going to apply to X, plan and simple. And if X is very competitive, you'll prob. also want to do research in X, meet and talk with the head of X in your school, shadow many X doctors, and excel in your X and non-X rotations. Not doing any of those will make you think "Hmm... do I really want to apply to this when everyone else has done all that."

So it's not really the stats themselves that worry me personally, it's the fact that 90% of people in my class are freaking amazing people. It's rare when I can say "oh, yea, I'm pretty good" and more often than not I feel like "OMG how did I get accepted when everyone else is crazy-awesome and I'm just pretty good." Now, to have to compete against them (and EVERYONE ELSE IN CANADA) during CaRMS... yea... it's stressful! :o

Archived