Premed 101 Forums

anyone else terrified lol

mattg

how bad do some interviews go? does anyone actually walk out lol? or it it's going terrible, do the interviewers just push through and get it over with as fast as possible? do people ever break down crying? - I would really imagine some people do, knowing the extreme naroticism of some people, and the insane amount of pressure...

Most interviews in Canada are surprisingly (to many) laid back. Generally you get in there and are terrified during the build-up to the questions, but after you start talking its very much like any other formal conversation.

For the most part people aren't out to get you, right? They want to know who you are. If you don't present yourself as phony, or deceptive, they'll have no reason to call you out on anything.

I've met a number of people who've cried after interviews but many of those people were successful in interviews they cried after and unsuccessful in interviews they left feeling confident.

Each school is obviously different, and some schools give their interviewers instructions like "Don't show emotion"... but the take home message is you have no way of knowing whether you're kicking ass or failing until the acceptances go out. That means if you're sitting there and you feel like you're bombing and your career is flashing before your eyes - you really have no idea that this is the case.

I just tell myself it'll only hurt me to worry, and my competencies/experiences/strengths etc. stand independent of whatever feedback they give me, so just answer the questions as you would and hope for the best.

All that being said I'll be progressively more insane not heading up to the interview but heading up to the acceptance day.

Most interviews in Canada are surprisingly (to many) laid back. Generally you get in there and are terrified during the build-up to the questions, but after you start talking its very much like any other formal conversation.

For the most part people aren't out to get you, right? They want to know who you are. If you don't present yourself as phony, or deceptive, they'll have no reason to call you out on anything.

I've met a number of people who've cried after interviews but many of those people were successful in interviews they cried after and unsuccessful in interviews they left feeling confident.

Each school is obviously different, and some schools give their interviewers instructions like "Don't show emotion"... but the take home message is you have no way of knowing whether you're kicking ass or failing until the acceptances go out. That means if you're sitting there and you feel like you're bombing and your career is flashing before your eyes - you really have no idea that this is the case.

I just tell myself it'll only hurt me to worry, and my competencies/experiences/strengths etc. stand independent of whatever feedback they give me, so just answer the questions as you would and hope for the best.

All that being said I'll be progressively more insane not heading up to the interview but heading up to the acceptance day.

Great post! :)

Archived