Premed 101 Forums

CARMS reference letter

Hi,

I'm an MS-III and new to the CARMS process. I quickly scanned the CARMS website but couldn't find anything too concrete/specific but it's possible I may have missed something.

I was hoping for some information regarding the structure needed for reference letters (if any) and the submission process (for instance, does the referee send the letter directly to CARMS?).

If I were to get a letter now (at the beginning of my 3rd year), would CARMS hold on to it until I apply 1.5 yrs down the road?

Thanks in advance!

okay, thanx Madz. CARMS is an anxiety filled process and I'm a little hyper-paranoid :D.

So, can you assess my understanding:

1) My referee fills out instruction form+creates letter

2) He mails it to CARMS

3) Even though I don't have a CARMS account (just started my clerkship) CARMS will hold onto the documentation and/or create an online account for me?

Am I better off getting the reference letter now when the preceptor is acutely aware of my abilities and has indicated that he is very impressed with my performance (even though I won't apply for about >1 year) or later on closer to the actual CARMS iteration?

Thanks!

okay, thanx Madz. CARMS is an anxiety filled process and I'm a little hyper-paranoid :D.

So, can you assess my understanding:

1) My referee fills out instruction form+creates letter

2) He mails it to CARMS

3) Even though I don't have a CARMS account (just started my clerkship) CARMS will hold onto the documentation and/or create an online account for me?

Am I better off getting the reference letter now when the preceptor is acutely aware of my abilities and has indicated that he is very impressed with my performance (even though I won't apply for about >1 year) or later on closer to the actual CARMS iteration?

Thanks!

Hey

You ask your referee for a letter. You can provide them with the guidelines provided on the CaRMS site to help guide them if you wish. Many of them have written several letters in the past and know how to go about it.

1) You create the letter form (aka cover letter) once you are able to log into CaRMS 'Applicant Workstation' and sign it.

2) You give your referee the cover letter which is sent along with the reference letter to CaRMS via snail mail.

3) Alternatively, your referee can make an online account with CaRMS and submit the letter electronically (they still need your CaRMS ID# and Ref# to submit an electronic letter and therefore, require a cover letter as well. But you can just email them those numbers and dont need to give the hard copy of the cover letter.)

Even though it's early for CaRMS, you can still ask for letters. Let them know that you need to provide them with a cover letter which can only be provided once CaRMS opens. I don't know if it's available on the site now, but CaRMS also provides a generic cover letter that can be used for early reference letter submissions. Either way, it's best to ask for a letter while on rotation or just finishing up a rotation, while you're still fresh in your preceptor's mind. Ask them if they can write it now and submit it later once CaRMS opens and you can print off the cover letter.

Hope this helps.

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone, A happy coming New Year!

I am an MS3 currently and am looking at the CaRMS reference letter procedure for an early letter. The website has a form that needs to be given to the referee for the early letter. This form only mentions match year 2014 while my match year will be 2015. Does anyone know when the updated Early Letter form comes out for current 3rd year clerks?

Thanks!

Hi everyone, A happy coming New Year!

I am an MS3 currently and am looking at the CaRMS reference letter procedure for an early letter. The website has a form that needs to be given to the referee for the early letter. This form only mentions match year 2014 while my match year will be 2015. Does anyone know when the updated Early Letter form comes out for current 3rd year clerks?

Thanks!

It comes out in the summer of 2014, so you've lots of time.

Archived