Premed 101 Forums

3rd year student

xvidkid

I have just a quick question that I am having trouble finding an answer to. Are there any US schools that are friendly to 3rd year applicants from Canada? If so, what kind of stats(MCAT GPA, etc) are we taking about? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot for your time.

I have just a quick question that I am having trouble finding an answer to. Are there any US schools that are friendly to 3rd year applicants from Canada? If so, what kind of stats(MCAT GPA, etc) are we taking about? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot for your time.

You'd be wasting your time trying.

You'd be wasting your time trying.

That's not true. xvidkid, don't know what your stats are like but you can look up the average admission stats for each American school you're interested in. If you have strong numbers, then I think it's worth a try at least. I know a guy who recently got into Harvard out of third year, and there are third years at my school interviewing with Ivies right now too - so it's definitely possible. I don't know much about American schools, but there is plenty of information for the finding. Good luck with everything.

It's very very difficult. Most US schools say they accept people after three years but the number who actually make it are quite small, much smaller than in Canada.

A degree does wonders for you in the US. I wouldn't waste time applying after three years unless your GPA is >3.9 and your MCAT >38.

It's very very difficult. Most US schools say they accept people after three years but the number who actually make it are quite small, much smaller than in Canada.

A degree does wonders for you in the US. I wouldn't waste time applying after three years unless your GPA is >3.9 and your MCAT >38.

:mad: asdasdasd

Going with what moo said, your numbers would have to be out of this world, AND you'd have to have SIGNIFICANT life experience for them to consider such a "young" applicant. It's funny that some schools, (Jefferson seems to be one) that prefers students that have already graduated. Research is also held highly in a lot of schools, and being in 3rd year means you'd have little to no productive research at that point.

Reapplying would severely hurt you, and it is unlikely you'd get a spot as a 3rd year.

So to repeat: You'd be wasting your time trying.

My school (Vanderbilt) at least does not allow students to matriculate unless they have at least a bachelor's degree. I'm pretty sure that's not an uncommon requirement. Most schools will at least expect you to be in your final year of your program when applying. Some schools (not Vandy) will be okay if for whatever strange reason you aren't able to graduate (because a course you need isn't offered that year or something). As far as I know few if any schools seriously consider people who do not intend to finish their program. At top tiers, even being in your 4th year is a disadvantage (compared to people who spent years doing research).

Thanks for all of your responses. I am currently a first year business/Bio student at the UofC. I plan to do a BComm and I am just trying to get an idea of what I should be shooting for in terms of stats. I guess its pretty impossible to get in after 3rd year, so I think Ill keep the applicatiosn inside Canada until I finish my degree. Thanks a lot.

Archived