Premed 101 Forums

Excemptionsfrom rotations in PGY1?

Hi,

The Royal College, to IMGs, is extremely picky about what it recognizes as equivalent to Canadian training. It is done on a case by case basis.

Even Americans have trouble. For instance, some specialties are 4 years long in the States, but 5 years in Canada. People who complete these American residencies usually have to do one extra year of residency to practice in Canada.

The college recognizes developed, English-speaking, Commonwealth training more easily than let's say China, Iran, or Germany. Unfair? Definitely, but that's the way the college works.

There are exceptions (ie. you have to be exceptional, recruited by a Canadian university, etc), but again, the circumstances are unique to to every individual. Many IMGs have told me they feel tricked and deceived when they move to Canada. Yes, your foreign medical degree is recognized, but it does NOT necessarily confer you the right to immediately practice medicine in Canada.

I was just thinking along the lines of a few rotations. I have done 20weeks of gen surg/ortho and 9 months of emergency. I would be happy to do more of this in Canada if I thought it would add anything to my training. But the rotations are much shorter so there is little to be gained.

I know some IMG pathology residents have skipped PGY1 at Toronto.

And on the flip side, there is a junior resident in my program in Toronto who was a staff physician in this specialty overseas, but has to do his entire residency over again despite the fact that he very clearly knows his stuff cold. I think skipping some or all of the junior years is very individual/program/luck specific.

Archived