Premed 101 Forums

Schools that really read applications and are interested in public health

bona_verba

Columbia is very Canadian friendly.

Hopkins is also pretty Canadian friendly, provided you have a good app. When I was applying, my classmate at UBC got in and matriculated, turning down offers from Harvard, UBC, UT and other US schools.

Tulane is big on public health

i think tulane is a little different though.

they don't REALLY read your app.

they just kinda skim through your secondary and depending on the mood of the day make their entire determination about you.

they might say they're big on public health, and yes they have a very resourceful school of public health, but sadly med admissions.. aren't really trying to judge your interest in public health.. maybe in community service.. and music and athletics and teach-for-america.. but not public health, imho.

they just kinda skim through your secondary and depending on the mood of the day make their entire determination about you.

they might say they're big on public health, and yes they have a very resourceful school of public health, but sadly med admissions.. aren't really trying to judge your interest in public health.. maybe in community service.. and music and athletics and teach-for-america.. but not public health, imho.

Unless you have some inside adcom information that we're not aware of, I don't think there's any way to tell whether or not schools intensely scrutinize your applications pre-interview.

For public health, GWU definitely emphasized opportunities for that on my interview day.

i guess i misunderstood your question. are you looking for schools that accept more people based on the applicants interest in public health? I think this will be hard to find as i think most schools want people with a variety of experiences to make up their class.

i'm not sure why you say it is 'sad' that schools are not looking for this particular attribute? i think they look at all experiences not just 'music, athletics, etc' that make up a well rounded applicant.

Also, where do you get the info about tulane not 'really' looking at their applications???

i guess i misunderstood your question. are you looking for schools that accept more people based on the applicants interest in public health? I think this will be hard to find as i think most schools want people with a variety of experiences to make up their class.

i'm not sure why you say it is 'sad' that schools are not looking for this particular attribute? i think they look at all experiences not just 'music, athletics, etc' that make up a well rounded applicant.

Also, where do you get the info about tulane not 'really' looking at their applications???

oh

just my understanding of the person responsible for a major part of admissions

she's said so herself they dont have time to look at applications. they look at the secondary briefly and if they see things like music athletics and teach-for-america then that gets you on top of the interview list. yea. i know.

and yes i was asking about schools that have a special interest in public health. i'm adding emory to the list as well

Archived