Premed 101 Forums

Gyms in the area?

Guest AMG82

Guest AMG82

Hi,

I'm just wondering what people think of UWO's gym. Do most students find it sufficient (i.e. not overly crowded, convenient hours, minimal wait for machines, good variety/ availability of fitness classes)? Or do a lot sign up at private gyms within London?

I am currently signed up with Goodlife at home, and I know there are 3 in the immediate area surrounding campus - although I've heard that the best one is at Sherwood Forest. I'll be living at 1265 Richmond N in the fall, and will have a car - but would also like to be able to easily reach a gym by bus or bike if possible.

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

A

Guest Gill0927

Hi,

A lot of people in our class went to the UWO gym last year. I personally found it too busy/crowded/etc and opted to join Goodlife...I got to Sherwood Forest and I ADORE it. At this point, I wouldn't go anywhere else...that said, I live really near to there.

It's totally bikable from 1265 Richmond to Sherwood if you like a good-length ride (probably around 20-25 minutes if you go through campus). There's also one at Adelaide and Windermere, which is closer to you but not as big.

In terms of your original question, I think it's about 50/50 in terms of people in our class who went to the UWO gym and those who joined private gyms. Keep in mind, also, that most people who use the UWO gym sign up for the cardio annex, which is an extra $100 (I think for the year). Not a huge amount in the grand scheme, but whatever. I'm pretty sure, though, that the goodlifes in the area (especially sherwood) aren't anywhere near as busy as the UWO gym, especially at peak hours.

Hope that helps...see you in the fall!

Gill :)

Guest AMG82

Hi,

Thanks for the info - I think I remember someone telling me that the London Goodlife gyms do not give any sort of discounts to med students (as they do in some other cities) ... can you verify this? (Just trying to figure out a rough budget for next year).

Thanks,

A

Guest LK MD

I also worked out at Goodlife at Sherwood Forest last year. VERY nice facility. Western's gym is uber busy most of the time and I just found it completely frustrating waiting for machines, etc.

If you're into cardio, get a membership for the cadio annex ($100). If you don't, you'll end up having to book days in advance to guarantee a spot on the machine you want in the regular gym.

Glad to hear you found a place to live next year. With your friend or a fellow frosh?

ta~

LK

Guest UWOMED2005

If you've already paid the ridiculous "initiation fee" to go with Goodlife (and like me use a gym enough that waiting lines at the machines would tick you off,) stick with Goodlife. There's a ton of them around - London invented Goodlife, after all.

But you might end up changing your mind in 3rd year. . . I believe the Athletic club offers a better deal than Goodlife for clerks with London hospital ID tags, and I found their equipment to be superior.

UWO ain't bad if you want to go cheap, but it isn't great either!

Archived