Premed 101 Forums

Radiology and hand problem

Hello everyone,

I was wondering whether it is very common for the radiologists to have hand problems b/c of repetitive nature of their job while using mouse for more than 8 hours a day. I am saying this b/c i have met three radiologists as my patients ( I'm physio) in the last month or so . I am actually starting to freak out. I have never encountered anyone while doing my electives. though, even if that is the case, I am sure frequent hand rest and strengthening Ex would help to some extend .. any idea anyone?

Thank you so much

Sara Kj

Yes, radiologists can suffer from repetitive strain injuries, though I'm not sure how the risk compares to other jobs that involve using a computer all day. Personally, I rely on arrow keys as much as possible, as I find it causes less strain on the wrist that way. I have seen other people switch to the other hand for using the mouse, or use specially designed mice/trackballs.

An article on using a Wii controller to navigate through images:

http://www.bjhcim.co.uk/news/2009/n906027.htm

I've met a radiologist in the community who developed carpal tunnel syndrome. I would wonder if there's any hard data out there in radiology journals. Who cares....manage your money wisely, and on a radiologists salary, you can retire early, get a carpal tunnel release, and live it up. Unfortunately, i can't sit in front of a computer all day :(...

Archived