Premed 101 Forums

Need Calculus for med school??

x0x0

Hi everyone, Im confused about Coursework requirements and whether or not intro calculus is a requirement. I have 2 questions:

1) i am a bachelor of arts biology student, would I need to switch to a bachelor of science degree, or do medical schools accept art degrees as well?

2) I have noticed that calculus is usually required for bachelor of science programs but is not a requirement for me to complete my arts biology degree, should I take this course as an elective or has anyone been accepted to med school without taking a calc class in university

Im only a first year ottawa u student so I wanted to ask just to be safe. Im really glad i found this site its incredibly helpful. THANK you all in advance!!

Hi everyone, Im confused about Coursework requirements and whether or not intro calculus is a requirement. I have 2 questions:

1) i am a bachelor of arts biology student, would I need to switch to a bachelor of science degree, or do medical schools accept art degrees as well?

2) I have noticed that calculus is usually required for bachelor of science programs but is not a requirement for me to complete my arts biology degree, should I take this course as an elective or has anyone been accepted to med school without taking a calc class in university

Im only a first year ottawa u student so I wanted to ask just to be safe. Im really glad i found this site its incredibly helpful. THANK you all in advance!!

1. Medical schools accept any kind of degree!

2. You don't need calculus for medschool in canada as far as I know.

That's right, pretty much any degree is fine. Just check out the prereqs for the school(s) you're interested in and make sure you take those. I don't think calculus is required, but I'm not positive for all schools. Also, make sure you have the prereqs for the prereqs! (for example, while your med school of interest may not require math, it may require a chem course that requires math)

I never took calculus, I don't entirely understand what calculus is (never took senior high school math), and I haven't seen anything yet that would indicate that I need it. I got through physics and chemistry without it too...I have no idea why it was a pre-req for those classes.

Sometimes it feels pretty useless :) I took two semesters of it and in the real world only used it once.

The only pre-med use for it that I know about as far as I know for applying to the US. Sometimes it is required for those schools.

Its required for some US schools. Duke, a research intensive school, comes to mind. As someone who did an honors degree in math and physics and as someone who took AP calc way back in ninth grade and someone who taught it throughout undergrad, it is not very useful for med school. The thinking skills that you develop from learning calculus, however is useful for medicine and research, in general.

• 10 years later...
On 2/25/2010 at 9:44 PM, x0x0 said:

I don't think you'll see this, but how did things go? It's been 10 years so did you become a doctor or did you take another path?