Premed 101 Forums

electives

I'm in first year and I've been reading up on some of these residency threads (although it's still in a while for me!) and I keep seeing people talk about electives. I have an idea of what I'd like to apply to for CaRMS, and although I know it is very likely to change over the upcoming years, I'd like to start preparing a strong app as soon as possible.

From what I understood, electives are NOT optional rotations during clerkship but they are rather observationships you have to set up yourself in whatever specialty you're interested in. Is that right?

Also, how do you usually set up these electives? Do you have to send a letter/e-mail to program directors or request for a small interview with a doc/program director in your field of interest?

And finally, when's the time to set these up? Is first year too soon? Second year?

Sorry but I'm really clueless about this, I've never even heard of electives other than in this forum, so any clarifications would be greately appreciated!!

Hello,

Electives ARE in fact optional rotations that you take during your clerkship years and the amount of mandatory electives differ from school to school.

You basically set them up by contacting the UGME electives secretary at the school that you want and they will have information on how to set up an elective at their school (e.g., an application form, provide you with an email for a preceptor for the specialty that you want to do your elective in, etc).

Usually, if you do this out of your school, you have to pay a small fee for this application. They will then contact you about the availability of the specific elective, book your plane ticket and off you go.

You should probably set this up well in advance (somewhere in the realm of 4-12 months, with 12 months needed for electives in Vancouver and Toronto usually). Of course, you have to find out your clerkship rotations schedule first to find out when you can do electives. This usually happens in the middle of 2nd year (i.e. January) if you are in a 4 yr program.

From what I have gathered selectives are a component of your core rotations. For example, you may spend 2 weeks in general surgery and then choose to take selectives in orthopedic surgery and vascular surgery.

Electives are basically a free for all where you complete rotations in an discipline of interest at a location at your home school, or other university.

Archived