Premed 101 Forums

Need Access

I can't seem to find a thread about this, so here it goes.

I'm currently applying for financial aid from Vanderbilt and I need to go through the Need Access website. The questions seem endless but one of the questions that made me raise an eyebrow was: "do you intend to go into primary care" The "I don't know option" is not available but will that affect how much financial aid I get? It seems like a rather unfair questions at this point. Does anyone know if intending to go into primary care will get you more financial aid or not?

Some states from what I have seen offer incentives or scholarships for those heading into primary care. Whether or not those are accessible to int'ls is unknown, but I would think they are probably limited to to US kids. Primary care scholarships from what I have seen makes you eligible for increased FAFSA (although that wouldn't apply to you). Need access probably asks to help assess what aid would be better for you.

If you are unsure about primary care, say no in case any moneys would be somewhat contractually tied to you actually do primary care. Could be repayment penalties.

Edit: check this out http://www.mc.uky.edu/meded/financialaid/PrimaryCareLoanProgram.asp . Although this is from UKentucky (yay!), the loan program is likely the same. Need Access isn't limited to Int'l students, so it is probably a program for US citizens/PR only and it is assessing the eligibility.

Some states from what I have seen offer incentives or scholarships for those heading into primary care. Whether or not those are accessible to int'ls is unknown, but I would think they are probably limited to to US kids. Primary care scholarships from what I have seen makes you eligible for increased FAFSA (although that wouldn't apply to you). Need access probably asks to help assess what aid would be better for you.

If you are unsure about primary care, say no in case any moneys would be somewhat contractually tied to you actually do primary care. Could be repayment penalties.

Edit: check this out http://www.mc.uky.edu/meded/financialaid/PrimaryCareLoanProgram.asp . Although this is from UKentucky (yay!), the loan program is likely the same. Need Access isn't limited to Int'l students, so it is probably a program for US citizens/PR only and it is assessing the eligibility.

Ah, I see. thanks. :)

ETA: Are you set on UKentucky keith?

Archived