Premed 101 Forums

American schools easier than canadian??

Hey guys,

So I'll be applying to US MD and DO schools for this upcoming year. I was looking at the stats for the ppl who got accepted and mostly they have a GPA greater than 3.8, kinda scary i thought the average would be lower. so are US Med schools really easier than Canadian? Do you think a high MCAT can compensate for a low GPA.

my

GPA is 3.72

MCAT 38R

What are my chances, obviously not good enough for top tier but what about rossalind franklin, wayne state, etc...

thanks a lot!

Hey guys,

So I'll be applying to US MD and DO schools for this upcoming year. I was looking at the stats for the ppl who got accepted and mostly they have a GPA greater than 3.8, kinda scary i thought the average would be lower. so are US Med schools really easier than Canadian? Do you think a high MCAT can compensate for a low GPA.

my

GPA is 3.72

MCAT 38R

What are my chances, obviously not good enough for top tier but what about rossalind franklin, wayne state, etc...

thanks a lot!

:confused: And where did you get those stats? don;t mind me asking... I had a look at MSAR and many schools ( even the Top tier schools) are accepting students with GPA ranges much lower than that. From what it seems from the msar book most middle tier schools are accepting GPAs any where from 3.3 to 3.4 . How does that apply to us, as Canadian OOS students I don;t know. But certainly someone who has GPA higher than 3.8 and a high mcat would ahve no problem getting into a great canadian school. I wouldn;t see the reason of paying 4 or 5 times more for a US school, unless you are really interested in a particular school in US...

Anyway, I am not sure if i am the right person to answer your question. But from the research I have done, the admission criteria doesn;t seem to be as difficult as you are suggesting. that is why i was a little suprised and confused from where you got that data...

hey ye ur right according to the MSAR the median is about 3.7. But i was looking at the accepted/wait listed thread on this forum and i jus looked at 5 ppl at random and they had a GPA around 3.8. so i was jus wondering, but im quite new to this too so ye i can be wrong. It would be great if some one in a US med school could comment

Your GPA is definitely fine. Your MCAT is very competitive. Your chance will be hinged on what kind of extra-currics and volunteering you have done. Stats aren't everything in the US. Apply broadly and you can add some upper tier (reaches) IF you have good experiences + completed research.

I would forgo applying to DO if I were you.

thx for the info keith_015, but why do you say forgo DO? i thought at the end of it MD and DO apply and compete for the same residency positions? they also appear to be cheaper than some MD schools.

Go through the sticky on Osteopathic Medicine. There is a huge difference between MD and DO with MD being the better of the two, and no, DO do not match in competitive residencies very well.

The MSAR might say people with 3.4 and 3.5 GPAs get accepted in US medschools, but those are US applicant GPAs.

The Canadians who get accepted into US schools probably have much higher GPAs. The only Canadian person I've heard getting accepted into a US medschool with a GPA lower than 3.5 is Keith.

To be more specific, I doubt any fourth year canadian applicant with a GPA lower than 3.5/3.6 gets accepted into US medschools.

Your GPA is on the lower end for a Canadian applying to America. Don't be overly optimistic based on MSAR stats because Canadians are held to a different scale.

With that said, American schools place a lot of value in the MCAT. Since yours is amazing, it should give you a lot of opportunities.

The American process is really random. Compared to you: my GPA was higher, my MCAT was lower. I got interviews at the two friendliest schools for Canadians (wayne state, rosalind franklin) but I had a friend who was rejected from those two schools and only obtained 1 interview, at Dartmouth (an ivy league school).

Archived