Premed 101 Forums

I-20 and proving funds

Hey kids who have been accepted. Today I received an I-20 form to fill out which means things are approaching fast. I haven't done any leg work yet on securing finances (I just did all the research), but U Kentucky is asking to prove funds for 1st year by May 15 with a financial plan outlining the next 4 years. Scary that they want you to prove that you have the ESTIMATED COST OF ATTENDANCE, which is *gulp* $81k. From the way Canadian Student Loans work (and how late things run), and when the US private student loans ask you to apply no earlier than May 15, this could be a sticky situation.

Have any of you acceptees done anything or made any progress in securing funding yet? Any tips?

I should make note: I think I will apply for MB student loans as I had them years ago and will set my perm. res. back there although I've been in ON for many years. When I looked, MB student loans hasn't approved Med yet for U of K. I will have to send in some forms and stuff and it'll take 2-4 weeks for them to approve the program. This is a heads up for you guys to check with your provincial loan provider to ensure your program has already been approved.

EDIT: To bring down the blood pressure, from an email I received from the uni -

The source of funding that is listed on the I-20 does not need to be the source you are actually using to pay your tuition and expenses…it is just so the INS can be assured that they will get paid somehow.

Hey kids who have been accepted. Today I received an I-20 form to fill out which means things are approaching fast. I haven't done any leg work yet on securing finances (I just did all the research), but U Kentucky is asking to prove funds for 1st year by May 15 with a financial plan outlining the next 4 years. Scary that they want you to prove that you have the ESTIMATED COST OF ATTENDANCE, which is *gulp* $81k. From the way Canadian Student Loans work (and how late things run), and when the US private student loans ask you to apply no earlier than May 15, this could be a sticky situation.

Have any of you acceptees done anything or made any progress in securing funding yet? Any tips?

I should make note: I think I will apply for MB student loans as I had them years ago and will set my perm. res. back there although I've been in ON for many years. When I looked, MB student loans hasn't approved Med yet for U of K. I will have to send in some forms and stuff and it'll take 2-4 weeks for them to approve the program. This is a heads up for you guys to check with your provincial loan provider to ensure your program has already been approved.

EDIT: To bring down the blood pressure, from an email I received from the uni -

I'm not sure how it is with UofK but I asked Vandy about something similar and their international student services told me that the I-20 can essentially be processed in a week, but it would be wise to give them at least a month to do it. So I don't think you're in too big of a rush. I don't know how I'm gonna pay for it yet... still waiting to see if I qualify for financial aid. :s

Get a LoC and then get someone from your bank to write you a letter saying that:

This is soandso from Bank ABC and keith_015 has a line of credit of $150,000 available to him.

My school also has a CoA in the 80k range and the letter from the bank was sufficient for the I-20/F1 visa stuff.

Hope this helps.

Good grief...don't choose the J1. The form might be insofar as generic for the entire school (including med residents). Kentucky's was generic for the whole school, but they dedicated the form to F1's.

And to clarify the editation to the post I made above, it is not mandatory to have secured funds by the day that you need to get the I-20 in. I have to admit I've been distracted from money hunting, but that'll change starting tomorrow.

Archived