Premed 101 Forums

ne OOP applicants get accepted yet?

Guest hoomsy

hey...just wondering if ne OPP got accepted yet. in theory mcgill should let you know 7 days after the 2nd interview who got accepted or not (20th) by 5h00pm. this is what they did with the internationals...?

check your e-mails...it'll be a pdf file.

yeah...u should get an e-mail from mcgill from michel...

like i got the e-mail...but my status on minerva didn't change for like a week after the acceptance...

Hey McGillMed2010,

Thanks so much. Yeah I am. I did my undergrad and I'm finishing my masters right now at McGill. I'm from Boston, MA. I was totally shocked I got in. I got into a few schools in the US too but I'm withdrawing all my applications. I'm goin with McGill!!!

I applied as MD/PhD actually. So I got into the MD part. They will probably let me know on Monday about the PhD part (says end of feb in my letter).

Actually so yeah I applied and was accepted as international. BUT...I applied for Canadian Permanent Residency/Quebec Residency. I got my Quebec CSQ in Decemeber. I just sent my CSQ to Immigration Canada. Once you get accepted by Quebec the Federal Govt. can't reject you. So I should be getting my PR status by August. Soo....instead of 26k per year (international tuition at McGill) I'm going to pay 6k Quebec tuition :)

I REALLY lucked out!!!

However even though I'm going to pay Quebec tuition...I still have to sign that stupid International Student contract...which means once I graduate, if I wana do residency in Canada I have to practice in rural Quebec for a certain amount of years....Yeeahhh not my cup of tea...I hate they do this...doesn't encourage Americans/Internationals to stay....

So yeah...if I marry a Canadian/Quebecois girl then I'll stay..if not ehh goin back to George Bush :(

:)

If anyone has any questions about McGill etc. ask away...I've lived here in Montreal since 2001.

Cheers

Hoomsy

Oh PS...

if people don't have letters yet for OPP don't freak out. So they offer admissions to like 7 people...if they don't take it then they'll e-mail you (next on the list).

Cheers

Hoomsy

Guest Maelswarm

congrats hoomsy :)

do you know if you have to do your residency in Quebec as well? because residents are licensed to practice only in the province of their post-grad training, no? so you'd have to do some other applications to practice in Quebec...

Guest McGillMed2010

Hoomsy,

The in province tuition is amazing compared to the international tuition (although it still is a lot cheaper than most american schools). You were accepted as international though, right? Therefore your spot came from the international student quota and not in province? They don't let you know about both the MD and PhD part all at once?

I'm still waiting and hoping for an interview... Hopefully we'll be in the same class next year

Hey,

Thanks Maelswarm. Honestly I have no clue. In the US that dosen't apply. People do their residencies in one state but then can practice in another. I don't know how it works here. I don't think I will do my residency here because I don't want to be forced to go to rurual quebec. So I guess for now my plans will be to go back to the states.

Yeah you're right. Even though McGill is 26k it's still cheaper than most US schools. However State schools are pretty cheap. Like University of Massachusetts is 16k per year for Mass residents.

I applied and was accepted as an international. So I took one of the 12 spots available for international students. My status will always be international with the Med School, BUT my status can change with Student Accounts (which it will). When you apply as MD/PhD you first have to be accepted to MD before they can accept or consider you for PhD. For those of you who did masters degrees, I really recommend it. It's almost a backdoor to get in.

Did you apply as Quebec Resident? If so you'll prob find out real soon about the interview. Quebec people interview in March. Also the interviews are REALLY chill. They don't ask you anything crazy. All they want to do is talk to you and who what you're about. They don't try to drill you or make you nervous or think in some abstract way like other medical schools.

Yeah that would be great! August 15th we could be sitting in the same lecture hall...

Cheers

Hoomsy

Guest McGillMed2010

hoomsy,

do you mean that if you have a masters degree, it is easier to get in through the MD/PhD route than the MD route? I guess that if you can always switch into the regular MD program once you start and don't have to necesarily do the PhD if you choose to. Just some considerations in case things don't work out this admissions cycle. I already have grad school funding and a lab to work in in case things don't work out this year (I already have enough Ontario school rejection letters to wallpaper my room with! (ok... that was a bit of an exageration :P ).

Ya, August 15th is coming up real soon. If I get in, this will probably be my last carefree summer. I've heard that McGill med has an AWESOME orientation week whch is something I'm really looking forward to if accepted to Mcgill.

congrats again on getting accepted!

Hey,

Yeah if you're doing a Masters totally. I actually tried applying after undergrad and couldn't get in. Then I applied now and I'm getting into a bunch of places.

I got my fingers crossed for ya.

Cheers

Hoomsy

Guest noncestvrai

Well...I thought there were only 3 spots for MD/PhD...in prov, OOP and international...

Seems to me that it is not a "backdoor" way to get in!

noncestvrai

I dunno...

It's really weird. The schools I applied as MD I've been rejected but the three schools I applied MD/PhD I got in...

Well of course if you don't have any significant research then there's no point to apply. For the people who might not make it this application cycle. My recommendation...do NOT take time off. Apply to grad programs. Or join SERIOUS research projects...not this @#%$ when people just work for a prof in the summer and has no clue what the hell they're doing (do independant research). By basically staying in school does two things...1) you don't have to answer those questions what have you been doing with your life in the mean time, 2) you're still in school...so you're not really hurting yet.. 3) makes u feel better emotionally. If I was working and not in an academic environment I would just get depressed. I would think..ehh I'm not going anywhere with my life etc.

So...apply to grad programs also for back up. What will it cost you...60$? I think it's worth it.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

Hoomsy

Plus...

I would have never thought I would be so interested in research now if I didn't do a grad program... so now I'll do both research and medicine (cake and eat it)..well IF I get in...

Also..yeah your right...worse case you don't like the PhD part and you're in the program, you can always drop out. It's not a big deal, even to the university because there will be another MD student who was accepted in just the MD program who would love to take ur PhD spot.

:)

Cheers

Hoomsy

Hi Hoomsy,

Congrats again on the acceptance :-) I do however disagree with you that taking time off after a first degree is the wrong decision...being someone that took multiple years off after my undergrad, I actually loved talking about what I did during that time (i.e., backpacking around the world) versus a research project I was less passionate about...of course if you are passionate about research then of course that is the perhaps the best decision, but what the application process really taught me was to participate in things that you are passionate about versus just for the sake of a med application....

-garp

Hey,

I guess you're right. I should have said..well it WORKS for some people. I wanted to become a doctor so bad that I felt if I took time off I wouldn't actually enjoy it since all I would be thinking about is med school. Plus, I come from an academic family so I kinda had no choice :) .

Okay..well if you're crazy like me...then don't take time off.. :)

Cheers

Hoomsy

Guest Spencer

Hey hoomsy,

I'm a McGill undergrad student...hoping to apply to MD/PhD sometime in the future...most likely in the US where there are better financial aid/funding options for MD/PhD students. I'm just wondering which 3 schools in the US did you get accepted into the MD/PhD program. I'm just starting to do some research right now into going to the US.

Also, will only having an honours BSc degree make you a lot less competitive in terms of admissions when compared with an applicant who is an MSc candidate?

And...one last thing, what are you doing your master's in? Just curious. I'm always afraid I'll run into a TA or something that posts on this board :b .

Thanks a bunch!

Spencer

Ha...

We can talk about it in person if you like. You can stop by my office. I prefer not to give my name or e-mail on this forum. But it's 5250 in the Wong building. I did my undergrad in Chemistry. I'm doing my masters in chemical engineering.

I've TAed like 9 sections of Organic Chemistry. I garentee I've TAed one of your friends. I've also TAed Analytical. In eng. I've TAed IML and this semester Phys Chem (for Engineers).

Cheers

Hoomsy

PS. My first name is similar to my FORUM name "Hoomsy" and my name will be on the door.

Oh and PS.

I haven't heard about the PhD part yet....They said end of February to early March (basically when the OPP people find out if they get in).

Cheers

Hoomsy, M.D.,Ph.D.(maybe?) :)

Archived