Premed 101 Forums

ne OOP applicants get accepted yet?

Guest hoomsy

Guest DramaticallyCounterintuitive

I just checked Minerva, and I've been waitlisted as well. Is there any way to find out where we are on the wait list? Does anyone know how big the OOP waitlist is?

Cheers

Ian

Hi,

The admissions folks at McGill are super helpful (as long as you arent a pest...heh..) and so I am sure you could give them a call to find out your waitlist spot--at least they have given this information out in years past (though they will most likely give you a range--e.g., 1-5...15-20 etc etc...)...

As well, if you are waitlisted, they waitlist probably won't move much until June though dont give up hope as it has moved a fair amount in years past...

good luck!

-garp

Guest hoomsy

Hey,

My friend just checked her Minerva today and was waitlisted as OPP. She didn't get an e-mail though. I was suprized....she's from Ontario, did her B.Sc. at McGill in Physiology, has a 3.94 cGPA, research, all that other good stuff and 11 Verbal, 11 Bio and 13 Phsyical.

Meh....

Hoomsy

Guest RedPotato

Hey everyone,

I am on the Waiting List as well... I called the office this morning, wanting to know my approximate position on the waitlist & how many students are on the list and stuff... but the lady told me that she doesn't know how many students are on the waitlist, and being on it means that the adcom has received my file and decided not to accept me... I am confused, does this mean that they put everyone that they don't accept on the waiting list? Nobody is rejected?

RP

Hoomsy,

Would you be able to share your thoughts on the interview process? This might help the Quebec Resident applicants. What type of questions you were asked? Presumably there were two interviews. Was one interview with a med school student? Did the line of questioning differ between the two interviewers?

I just called a McGill admissions guy.

He said:

1) Everyone that interviewed but was not offered a place is put on the waitlist

2) They are a new admissions office this year, and they don't know what happened in years past, but no information is going to be given out re: waitlist position.

3) You have two weeks to decide on an admissions offer, and your decision is shared with other schools

4) He has never heard of the idea that other schools automatically remove you from their applicant pool when you accept at one school.

5) The waitlist moves as soon as a person rejects an offer, ie. if people reject, then the next acceptances are probably going out within two weeks.

Hope this is helpful.. I wish there was info about where you are on the waitlist. I don't see much benefit to keeping it from us.

Guest hoomsy

Hey,

Okay so my take on the interviews...

So how it works is the person who interviews you (could be admissions staff, MD prof, PhD prof or med student) gets only your autobiographical letter and no information on your cGPA, MCAT, reference letters etc. So the only thing they have to go by you is that. They don't have your CV either. What I suggest, make a little nice booklet/packet with CV, papers you might have published WHAT ever you want to basically "show off" and have it nicely bound. Bring it to your interviews (not just McGill..anywhere). You offer to give it to them (don't say you have it for them just take it out and give it to them at the END of the interview). They will do one of two things...1 be impressed and say thank you. Or 2 they will say no I have enough info thanks. Don't be offended if they say the 2nd. They are technically ONLY suppose to make their decision on just the interview and no outside info.

So...study your essays WELL. The questions they ask you WILL come from it. If something is not clear to them from the essay they will ask you.

If you have a med student interview you...let me warn you...it will be the toughest interview. The reason I say this is here you have basically students given a VERY important task/job. They will take it VERY seriously. They will dedicate a lot of time to studying your essay and come up with crazy questions. I had 2 med students interview me for 1 interview session. My essay was marked up completely in red...just be ready if you get a med student.

But...don't freak out...I've interviewed at other schools (all in the US), but McGill honestly wants to know HOW you communicate, if you're a socialable person and how you express yourself. Seriously, just be yourself. Everyone says this but they're right you really do. I suggest NOT to prepare for the interview. Of course you should know the answers to some basic questions...why do you want to be a doctor...what events in your life caused you to want to be a doctor. It's very important you have PROOF. Not just say oh it looks like a cool profession. The toughest question I got....(so I was explaining my life history with all the various medical work, volunteering, traveling etc. I've done)...he was very impressed but then he said...out of everything you've accomplished in life and everything you have...what is the most important thing in your life....?

I did NOT get any ethical or medical related questions. They just wanted to know me.

I suggest you sell yourself. Try to bring up information that is NOT in your essay. Don't say oh I have good marks or MCAT...you would not have made it to this point if you didn't. Try to bring up points that seperate you from the rest.

The best interviews are when you're litterally just chatting and shooting the @#%$ with your interviewer. Talk about yourself...your hobbies...what makes you happy etc. Don't spend TOO much time answering a question. Let the interviewer shoot a lot at you. Maybe throw some back at him.

If you go to http://www.studentdoctor.net. There's a link somewhere that has peoples feedbacks from medical school interviews. McGill is there. People will list the toughest questions or how they felt about their interviews from the past...good tool.

Anyhow...relax..be yourself...you made it this far...just make sure no matter WHAT they ask...there's no such thing as a wrong answer. Always stand up for your answer. Answer their question and back it up. That's all that matters.

Cheers

Hoomsy

Guest hoomsy

Hey,

Sorry. I guess I didn't answer all your questions.

What they ask you ALL depends on who you get. They don't sit together and come up with questions etc. to ask you. They could ask similar questions but it's not done on purpose.

If you're interviewing for MDCM then you will have 2 interviews. If you're doing MDCM/PhD then you'll have 4.

Let me tell you...don't think you need to impress or make youself stand out with the other med interviewers or even the people there on that day. The ONLY person making a decision IS the person who is interviewing you. That is all. They will give you a score and litterally run it up to the admissions office like 10 min later or after they're done interviewing other people.

So there will be a breakfast 8-9am in the morning. You don't have to go to this. You can if you like. You will be told when your interviews are. Bring something to listen to or read if you're nervous. You could have your first interview at like 10h30 or something. Once you get your schedule you can leave and come back when it's time for your interview.

Make sure you go on the hospital tours if you can AND make sure you get a tour of the Osler Library. It's beautiful!

Cheers

Hoomsy

Guest hoomsy

Hey,

Well at 5h00pm today I found out I was accepted for MD/PhD. I was first accepted for MD a month ago. This is incredible news :)

Cheers

Hoomsy

Guest hoomsy

Thanks.

I'm pumped to start!

I'll be finishing my masters this semester.

I'm not sure what I want to do later on. I could further my work....

In theory they said we can do the PhD in anything. I wonder if we're allowed to do it on let's say surgery or cardiology...or would those kind of graduate programs only be offered for medical residents? Or anything crazy like aerospace medicine? :)

Hoomsy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AltGab

Hey Hoomsy

Congratulations for your acceptance to the M.D./Ph.D program :):) . I wish also all the luck to the other applicants (from Cegep, OOP and Undegrad).

Gab

Archived