Premed 101 Forums

OOP decisions are out

Guest ssc427

Guest ssc427

Waitlist for me baby...

Not a problem though. McGill is dead last on my list of the schools I've got interviews at this year.

Just a thought for others in the same boat who might have warmed up to McGill more than I did. McGill seems to operate on a much more American style application system. So if May rolls around and you get acceptances to other Canadian schools but still really want McGill write them a letter saying so, and that you'd attend over their school over your other options. I bet this would help.

really? Having also applied to the states, I am curious as to how McGill's application process is similar? McGill doesn't have rolling admissions nor rolling applications...as well, the waitlist is ranked (unlike many schools in the states) and there is no so called "admissions committee" that can change your rank based on a letter sent later on....however, I will say that there is a bit of movement on the OOP list and although this only really occurs in June, it will happen...

good luck to all those waiting!

-garp

Guest ssc427

I also applied in the US and I felt the 'flavor' of the McGill application and my dealings with admissions to be the most US-like of the 10 Canadian schools I applied to.

The big similarity is early decision. McGill is the only school in Canada which does this. Also, lots of US schools don't have rolling admissions and most will rank waitlist candidates in the same way that McGill does. In the US sending in a letter of intent, especially if you get an acceptance elsewhere but still want the school you're waitlisted at, can bump you up the waitlist. So why not try this at McGill?

McGill is also similar in the sense that you basically design your own application. They say send in a CV. How much or how little you put in this is up to you. In the same way in the US you do the AMCAS then secondary but you can also send in extra things you want the ADCOM to see. You can do this at McGill.

I have no factual information which would indicate to me that a letter of intent would help. I just got the impression that it might. If you have an acceptance elsewhere in Canada but want McGill you'd have nothing to lose by writing such a letter.

Guest ssc427

That's a crazy thing to say. There are something like 100 US schools. They cover every possible medical teaching method on the planet. I only applied to 7. And I noticed some similarities in those programs - namely the systems approach.

The McGill application is without a doubt the least standardized and structured in Canada - so more like the US. No strict GPA and MCAT cutoffs and a completely unstructured application. This, IMO, is a good thing. I hate the Canadian method of axing applicants without even glancing at their applications because they got a 40O (not me but a real example) on the MCAT. Even though McGill is one of the most competitive OOP schools in Canada they read every single application. This is just like the ultra competitive schools in the US. And again is a good thing.

Archived