Premed 101 Forums

Quebec residents - Application Status on Minerva

Guest vaid

Could some Quebec Resident Applicants share their Application status on Minerva? Has it gone beyond Ready for Review?

Perhaps someone could shed light on the various application statuses on Minerva.

Guest McGillMed2010

Mine is still Ready for Review... Once they start looking at your file, it goes to "Under Review". Then, I'm not sure what it will say but for some of the OOP applicant's, it said "Recomended by Department" or something like that. Then, after the interview, it will say that you got a tentative acceptance.

On another note, does anyone know around what time they start looking at Quebec residents files and offering interviews?

Guest medicator007

Its been 4 years since I was in your shoes, but if memory serves my interview was the second week of february and I was called the week before.

But I am a bit removed from the process so it may have changed since then.

Medicator

Guest mstr splinter

Interviews for in-province applicants are probably in late March or early April. Minerva status probably wouldn't change for a while yet, at least until after OOPs are finished.

McGill Web site states the interviews will be 13-22 March. Does anybody have a clue as to when the application status on Minerva starts becoming more meaningful. Mine still states "Ready for Review". When will McGill inform the candidates?

Hi,

From my experiences last year, we were given approximately 2 weeks notice before our interviews and our Minerva status never actually changed (it continually said "ready for review" until it was changed to "accepted with condition")...our interviews were in early April...feel free to post any additional questions...

good luck!

-garp

Thanks garp. Would you know how many "Quebec Residents" applied last year and how many were invited for interview and how many were accepted? Are any stats available on the number of "Quebec Resident" applicants this year.

Guest McGillMed2010

WOW, thats really soon!!!! I remember in the past, the website said that interviews were usually in April. I wonder if that means decisions will be given sooner than May 1rst?

Hi,

I don't have verified stats, but from what I recall, last year there were approximately 200 quebec applicants and they interviewed 115-120--ultimately accepting 74 or so...the waitlist also only moved 1 or 2 spots...

My interview was early April and I actually found out 6 days after my interview that I was accepted! There is definitely a quick turn around time at McGill....

good luck!

-Garp

Guest McGillMed2010

Wow, I'm really impressed that McGill does everything so quickly... Interviews are all in March this year supposedly so maybe we'll know by the beginning of april? that would be nice to be accepted and to know while writing final exams that you are going somewhere next September. :hat

Hi 2010,

Based on your previous posting with your stats, you seriously have nothing to worry about...granted I haven't seen your autobiographical letter/reference letters, but your GPA and MCAT scores are definitely in line with what would garner an interview...in fact, there are people in my class with sub-30 MCATS and GPAs in the 3.6 range (though a low MCAT score is usually compensated for by a high GPA/something out of the ordinary in terms of experience)...

good luck!

-Garp

Guest McGillMed2010

Thanks Garp,

I was nervous since I'm sure many people have great marks/mcat/extracurriculars and was just wondering what makes or breaks an application...

On another note, the interviews at McGill are one on one right? Are the interviewers only medical doctors or do medical students/residents participate as well? I heard a rumor that some schools (although I haven't heard about McGill) even have clergy or business people conduct interviews. Does McGill have a similar interviewer pool as well?

Guest medicator007

Interviews are indeed 1-on-1

Potential interviewers include: Physicans, residents, medical students, professors (ie non-MD teachers in medical school), nurses, clergy, business people.

Medicator

What is the interview like at McGill. What are the things that interviewers are looking for? Are there certain behavioral profiles/ characteristics that the interviewers think are necessary for the MD program.

Guest medicator007

As far as i know there are no set profile or characteristics that are being sought. So don't try to go ahead and adopt any such behavioural profiles.... just be yourself.

They are really trying to get to know the kind of person you are. Be sure you know your autobiographical letter and all that you mentioned in it cold and be prepared for questions based on it, which shouldn't be too hard unless you lied about things in your letter. You should also be prepared for the standard med school interview questions and some basic ethical issues, though the latter were not too overly in my experience.

Good Luck,

Medicator

Guest McGillMed2010

i was curious too what makes gets someone accepted at mcgill vs waitlisted once at the interview stage or how they cut down that list to 75 people. Do they tend to ask a lot of questions based on recent events or quebec healtcare system? Is there any good books/articles on the quebec healtcare system? I've read the Romanow report but that deals with more Canada in general. thanks :hat

Guest medicator007

I can't speak in general and I will remind you all that I am 4 years removed from my interviews so things may have changed. My interviews were almost exclusively centered on what I wrote about in my autobiographical letter, "Why you want to be a doctor", "Strengths/weakness", and a few fairly general ethical questions. I didn't get anything about systems of healthcare either here or in the rest of Canada. It would still be good to know about though as it could certainly come up, Romanow report can't hurt and I would certainly make sure I was up to speed on the privatization debate, especially as it pertains the June 1st Quebec deadline surrounding the chaoulli (sp?) decision.

That being said, my experience was a very relaxed and friendly interview.

Medicator

Just wanted to echo the words of Medicator (even though medicator is FAR removed from the application process...haha...:P ) that the interviews at McGill are seriously relaxed for the most part...other than going through your personal statement, there will be the odd ethical question--which in my case, I brought up (i.e., the question was "what is an ethical scenario that physicians face")...from my experiences, getting the interview at McGill is the challenging part and unless the interview goes ridiculously badly, its not a problem at all :-)

Good luck,

Garp

Garp or medicator, could you comment on the curriculum of McGill? How does it differ from medical schools in Ontario? Is it system based? What are the strong points of McGill curriculum, what are not so strong, and how the curriculum is likely to evolve in the coming years?

Archived