Premed 101 Forums

How much is MCAT used as a selection factor?

Im not talking about the MCAT cutoffs....I mean after you meet the cutoffs, how much does having a really high MCAT help your chances?

My impression is that it would not help too much. Based on their website "methods of selection":

http://meds.queensu.ca/undergraduate/prospective_students/method_of_selection

It seems like GPA and MCAt are only used for cutoffs. And then it is all interview and reference letters. If so....wow....hahah

I mean on the one hand we all complain about GPA and MCATs...but then again how much can you really tell about someone's abilities from an interview????

I mean on the one hand we all complain about GPA and MCATs...but then again how much can you really tell about someone's abilities from an interview????

I suppose they assume that past a certain cut off, GPA and MCAT aren't reliable indicators of future success. Rather, they'd like to base it on what they can glean from an interview.

Im not talking about the MCAT cutoffs....I mean after you meet the cutoffs, how much does having a really high MCAT help your chances?

My impression is that it would not help too much. Based on their website "methods of selection":

http://meds.queensu.ca/undergraduate/prospective_students/method_of_selection

It seems like GPA and MCAt are only used for cutoffs. And then it is all interview and reference letters. If so....wow....hahah

Yes, marks are only used for cut-off purposes. I don't think they look at GPA/MCAT at all once you get an interview. :rolleyes:

The best ref is from someone impartial, who had the chance to evaluate you critically against your peers. Someone who can say that person X took part in my program and he was the second best presenter I have seen in years. There is then a cross reference to check the general caliber of the references that this person previously wrote (is everybody who gets a ref from him the single best student ever?). The best situation would be if the reference usually writes lukewarm letters, the school has them on hand, but is willing to write you a glowing and numerative (third in class, etc) letter

The best ref is from someone impartial, who had the chance to evaluate you critically against your peers. Someone who can say that person X took part in my program and he was the second best presenter I have seen in years. There is then a cross reference to check the general caliber of the references that this person previously wrote (is everybody who gets a ref from him the single best student ever?). The best situation would be if the reference usually writes lukewarm letters, the school has them on hand, but is willing to write you a glowing and numerative (third in class, etc) letter

I think this is the only way they would be able to compare to previous references.

I got it straight from the source. One of my tutors for princeton helps decide which files are reviewed for interview invites. And she told me plainly that because some profs are prolific letter writers, U of T has internal database to compare each year's essays with. Good set of refs must encompass all the items on that omsas checklist (critical thinking... creativity... etc). There is a section where you pick top 5%, top 10% etc

I got it straight from the source. One of my tutors for princeton helps decide which files are reviewed for interview invites. And she told me plainly that because some profs are prolific letter writers, U of T has internal database to compare each year's essays with. Good set of refs must encompass all the items on that omsas checklist (critical thinking... creativity... etc). There is a section where you pick top 5%, top 10% etc

that is interesting

Archived