Premed 101 Forums

For med school applicants

Are you *completely* sure you would like a life in medicine?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are you *completely* sure you would like a life in medicine?

• Yes
    • No

And don't answer yes just because "you've always wanted to do it" or "you don't know what else you would do", or because "why else would be be here" or just because it's the standard premed attitude. Genuinely, are you 100% that you would like a life in medicine, or if you are having some trepidations, whether it be about the competition, long hours, difficulty of maintaining meaningful relationships, difficulty of a family life, etc.

Your posts are anonymous. Please vote with complete honesty.

Note: voting No does not mean you are doing it and you shouldn't. It just means you are not sure.

I've always wanted to win millions at the lottery, but I worry about whether all that money will alienate me from my friends and family.

I've always wanted to own a harem, but I worry about what to do with all them ladies when they get old and fugly, and whether true relationships can come from sex.

I've always wanted to be a famous celebrity, but I worry about how it will affect my ability to maintain a private & personal life outside of public scrutiny.

I've always wanted to become immortal, but I worry about what would happen if I just got bored of living forever and I couldn't (by definition) kill myself.

-------

What kind of retarded poll is this? Who doesn't have any worry about any aspect of the future - by definition, the future is unknown, and therefore sh*t could happen.

Why don't you make the poll graded, like completely sure, very sure, pretty sure, ambivalent, pretty unsure, etc.?

Note: voting No does not mean you are doing it and you shouldn't. It just means you are not sure.

Patient - So this surgery will cure me... are you sure?

Surgeon - Yes, in most cases it will. There is a small, about 2% chance that it will be unsuccessful due to surgical risks, but this is about standard for this surgery.

Patient - oh, so you are not sure

Surgeon - You're f***ing retarded aren't you?

Genuinely, are you 100% that you would like a life in medicine, or if you are having some trepidations, whether it be about the competition, long hours, difficulty of maintaining meaningful relationships, difficulty of a family life, etc.

Anyone who isn't a physician who voted yes to this poll is lying to his or herself. There's no way you can be 100% certain that you would like to do a job you've never done yourself before. This poll is absurd. The best anyone can honestly say is that this job is the one that interests them most and that through all their research and shadowing and whatever else they think they'd enjoy doing X or Y specialty.

• 4 weeks later...

Much as I love working with patients, pathophys and pharmacology are fascinating, and all clinical experience so far has been remarkably rewarding, I don't think any pre-med can know with 100% certainty that they'll love medicine. We are all taking a gamble to a certain extent. I'm pretty sure that medicine will be a near perfect fit for me, but there is really no way to know for sure until we're finished residency and practicing.

Archived