Premed 101 Forums

Any good tip for verbal MCAT for a grad student

I'm having hard time with verbal, my score doesn't seem to want to improve at all. I am not sure why I'm having so much trouble. Even practice MCAT verbal which I wrote so many times, I still managed to do so badly.

Any advice?

It's just so frustrating and I have no one to talk to since I am the only grad student that I know from my department and my lab preparing MCAT (sigh)

I'm having hard time with verbal, my score doesn't seem to want to improve at all. I am not sure why I'm having so much trouble. Even practice MCAT verbal which I wrote so many times, I still managed to do so badly.

Any advice?

It's just so frustrating and I have no one to talk to since I am the only grad student that I know from my department and my lab preparing MCAT (sigh)

Speed reading.... highlighting important words.... reading questions before reading paragraphs. I think that sums it up.

I think what really helped me with verbal was the reading I did on a daily basis that had nothing to do with the MCAT or school. When you get used to reading a lot on a daily basis I find that it improves both your reading speed and comprehension. I would also use a variety of MCAT verbal practice tests, having a mix of easy intermediate and difficult passages will raise your confidence, challenge you and show you what level you are working at. :D

I also found that using different strategies to answer questions, and pausing to ask yourself what the question truly means works in your favor.

In most cases, when you connect the question stem to your answer selection, it should flow both logically and in structure.

look at what type of passages you keep on bombing, and find outside reading material...my nemesis is humanities dealing with mythology so I had to find some old classics in the public library and get comfortable with the language.

a large part of the MCAT is confidence, the more your practice the more you become confident.

Just keep practicing. You'll get over the hump.

________

Mercedes-Benz W208 Specifications

Archived