Premed 101 Forums

Looking for help with personal activities section (avg stats for this year is out)

Here are the 3rd IP Max and average for each category:

cGPA: 4.0, 3.92

PAS: 14.10, 8.28

MCAT: 13.33, 11.12

WS: T, Q

Just a reminder these averages listed are averages of those who got an interview.

I was slightly below average for each section except for WS where I was above average.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will update my first post with these stats, thanks guys! Boy OOP applicants have it pretty rough.

The OOP max, average scores

cGPA: 4.0, 3.98

PAS: 19.95, 8.9

MCAT: 13.67, 11.42

writing sample: T, R

Here are the 3rd IP Max and average for each category:

cGPA: 4.0, 3.92

PAS: 14.10, 8.28

MCAT: 13.33, 11.12

WS: T, Q

i'm still shocked over the 19.95. I've gotto think the next closest person was probably a few points below. One heck of a stand out candidate. damn

It would be awesome though to know what this candidate has on their application, so we could all know where to improve. Then again, I'm guessing he/she won the downhill gold medal and cured some disease during their gold medal run. Accomplishing those things seperately would probably only garner a 17 or so...peanuts.

i wonder how the gpa is converted over to an actual score. Like, how big a difference is there between a 3.8 and a 3.6 when they are converted over? I'm sure only UofA knows but i was always curious about this part. I was just thinking about how big a difference there is between scores in the PAS section and it doesn't seem like there will be that much of a difference in the gpas.

i wonder how the gpa is converted over to an actual score. Like, how big a difference is there between a 3.8 and a 3.6 when they are converted over? I'm sure only UofA knows but i was always curious about this part. I was just thinking about how big a difference there is between scores in the PAS section and it doesn't seem like there will be that much of a difference in the gpas.

Does it really matter?

Wouldn't a 3.8 be equivalent to X number of points out of 30 and 3.6 equivalent to a lower number of points?

Now this could change if U of A looks at what type of courses you take.

Ex. Someone with a 3.8 in an arts degree vs someone with a 3.6 in a biochem degree.

Who knows how they come up with the score lol

Does it really matter?

Wouldn't a 3.8 be equivalent to X number of points out of 30 and 3.6 equivalent to a lower number of points?

Ex. Someone with a 3.8 in an arts degree vs someone with a 3.6 in a biochem degree.

Obviously a higher gpa means more points - i get that (Seriously... i don't have a 4.00 but gimme a tad bit of credit here). I'm just wondering if its a material difference (3.8 vs 3.6) compared to lets say a PAS score of 10 vs 8. Put another way, would you rather be above average in gpa or PAS? I thought if someone actually had a good idea they could chime in.

Also, was just killing time as i was looking to see if anyone had any info on what Stelmach said today - probably nothing substantial i'm guessing.

Does it really matter?

Yeah, but there would be a world of difference between a straight linear scale (3.6/4 would be 27/30) and a difficulty adjusted score (getting a 3.6 is MUCH MUCH easier than 3.8+, so maybe 3.6/4 is like 20/30 or something). The difference is that in the first circumstance, a person with low GPA can easily make it up with superb ECs... In the second, they are out of luck (unless, of course, they have that olympic-medal-winner-get-out-of-jail-free-card). :P

Yeah, but there would be a world of difference between a straight linear scale (3.6/4 would be 27/30) and a difficulty adjusted score (getting a 3.6 is MUCH MUCH easier than 3.8+, so maybe 3.6/4 is like 20/30 or something). The difference is that in the first circumstance, a person with low GPA can easily make it up with superb ECs... In the second, they are out of luck (unless, of course, they have that olympic-medal-winner-get-out-of-jail-free-card). :P

exactly what i meant. Obviously we don't know, but was curious. From my conversation with the Registrar's office back in October, they adjust gpa's (this is in reference to the gpa you can see on your app) depending on what school and program you come from. At least that's what i was told. They don't publish any conversion tables though. So I'm hoping its not the latter scenario (above), or that could mean two adjustments......and i'd be fried.

Obviously a higher gpa means more points - i get that (Seriously... i don't have a 4.00 but gimme a tad bit of credit here). I'm just wondering if its a material difference (3.8 vs 3.6) compared to lets say a PAS score of 10 vs 8. Put another way, would you rather be above average in gpa or PAS? I thought if someone actually had a good idea they could chime in.

Also, was just killing time as i was looking to see if anyone had any info on what Stelmach said today - probably nothing substantial i'm guessing.

haha sorry Sv3 wasn't trying to make you sound stupid. I don't think there's a clear answer. In my mind its very subjective. I think having a higher gpa is the safest bet b/c its very concrete whereas EC's are more open to biases, criticisms, etc.

p.s. I'm also wondering how the Stelmach meeting went!

haha sorry Sv3 wasn't trying to make you sound stupid. I don't think there's a clear answer. In my mind its very subjective. I think having a higher gpa is the safest bet b/c its very concrete whereas EC's are more open to biases, criticisms, etc.

p.s. I'm also wondering how the Stelmach meeting went!

haha ok, thanks. Yeah for sure - a higher gpa would be great - can't be argued with like you said.

yeah hopefully there's some concrete news one way or the other soon. I rather be put out of my misery sooner than later.....and start chugging the 6 pack Dorothy will owe me.

exactly what i meant. Obviously we don't know, but was curious. From my conversation with the Registrar's office back in October, they adjust gpa's (this is in reference to the gpa you can see on your app) depending on what school and program you come from. At least that's what i was told. They don't publish any conversion tables though. So I'm hoping its not the latter scenario (above), or that could mean two adjustments......and i'd be fried.

Not to be the party pooper, but with the narrow range of GPA scores possible (3.6-4), there has to be a steeper grading curve than just 4/4 =100%, 3.6/4=90%, considering how big of a difference the Ec's make, if it was a simple linear score, then the acceptances would almost all depend on your Ec's, which doesnt seem to be the case.

besides, if you got interview anywhere this year, i wouldnt worry too much about the GPA. At least this isnt u of T, where academics (but not just GPA) is whopping 60% of your score

Not to be the party pooper, but with the narrow range of GPA scores possible (3.6-4), there has to be a steeper grading curve than just 4/4 =100%, 3.6/4=90%, considering how big of a difference the Ec's make, if it was a simple linear score, then the acceptances would almost all depend on your Ec's, which doesnt seem to be the case.

yeah

and to make matters worse - I'm not exactly close to a 3.6 either. Sure hope these cuts don't happen! The linear score is likely too good to be true....but every point is a big one and the gpa is worth 50% more weight than the ECs.

EDIT (and no, i didn't win a gold medal. closest i could come is attempting to steal one)

yeah

and to make matters worse - I'm not exactly close to a 3.6 either. Sure hope these cuts don't happen! The linear score is likely too good to be true....but every point is a big one and the gpa is worth 50% more weight than the ECs.

EDIT (and no, i didn't win a gold medal. closest i could come is attempting to steal one)

Dont forget to etch your name on it to make it official

Thanks to a helpful mod the thread title has been changed to better reflect to nature of discussions on this thread. :D

Now I wish I can get just a few pointers from the 19.95 PAS applicant lol. Gotta say...knowing that someone else's activities are worth more than six times of mine hurts. :P

People who interviewed don't have their stats yet though, right? So we wouldn't be able to compare or anything until we get accepted/rejected/waitlisted, right? Does anyone know if they will be sending us our stats through a letter or through the UA Webmail?

Seeing that no one has posted otherwise, I think people that were invited for interviews will not see their stats until they are rejected. If you are accepted I don't think you will get to see your stats at all. And I think most likely if you are rejected you will get your stats through a letter (snail mail).

People who interviewed don't have their stats yet though, right? So we wouldn't be able to compare or anything until we get accepted/rejected/waitlisted, right? Does anyone know if they will be sending us our stats through a letter or through the UA Webmail?

Archived