Premed 101 Forums

Starting university this fall...

Been out of high school for the past two years. Finally starting this September, at Waterloo for science... Just a little nervous, as my study skills are a little rusty, and I forgot a bit of what I learned in science, and math, etc...

I used to be really sharp, and disciplined (compared to now), but now I'm a little "soft". :(

Do you have any suggestions for making the transition easier?

First year science and math has a lot of stuff you already learned in Gr.12 and even some stuff from Gr.11. However, don't take your courses lightly. It's not like high school where only your final year matters. Everything from your first midterm to your last ever exam matters in university. There will also be a lot of people who are away from the structure from their home environments and they'll develop lax study habits because of that lack of structure. Don't be one of those people. It's easier said than done, especially if you're in res, but remember why you're there and that you're (or your parents or whomever) are paying a lot of money. You'll probably see a lot of people who are paying $13,000 to party for eight months...

Been out of high school for the past two years. Finally starting this September, at Waterloo for science... Just a little nervous, as my study skills are a little rusty, and I forgot a bit of what I learned in science, and math, etc...

I used to be really sharp, and disciplined (compared to now), but now I'm a little "soft". :(

I'm not sure where I heard this from, but I think it might have been from the late Randy Pausch.

The two hardest things in the world to say are "I don't know" and "I need help". If you can humble yourself to say these things whenever you feel them, you are going to succeed in life.

just literally do everything you think you need to.

Like others have said, don't procrastinate! From day one, make sure you understand the material covered in lecture. For subjects like math/chem/physics, this usually means doing practice problems. I don't know anything Waterloo-specific, but your mark will probably just be midterm + final (i.e. no homework), so it's up to you to make sure you've studied.

Since you've been out of school for a couple of years, you may want to try to find out who is teaching some of your courses that directly require knowledge from high school (probably calc, physics, chem), briefly explain your situation and ask if there's any topics they suggest you review.

I found in my first year it helped a lot to find things that helped me de-stress. After getting back the first midterms I wrote (and realizing that I had to do way more work than high school) I started getting unreal stressed before exams.

Once you find out how you learn best then you'll be all set. Don't be afraid to try new study techniques, they might work better, or they might work worse. I found my first year was just as much learning about myself as it was learning the material...

And have fun. If you're not enjoying your undergrad, somethings wrong.

Archived