Premed 101 Forums

When do you HAVE to decide?

So say you get accepted by 2 different med schools in 2 different provinces....let's say UBC and U of T, for example. You really can't choose between the two and in order to give yourself more time to decide (since UBC only gives you 4 days), you accept both and pay the deposit on both.

So my question is, when you do you have to decide FOR SURE? I.e., when is the last possible moment when you can go back to a school and say "I know I accepted your offer, but I changed my mind"?

I would imagine the last possible moment would be time of registration/payment but ethical considerations would presumably come into play long before then as you have received a gift and would unfairly, needlessly be putting the lives of others on hold or worse, e.g., someone who would have been next in line has made an irrevocable commitment for the next year in the reasonable expectation that there was no hope so late in the year, when there was no way of knowing otherwise that an o ffer would be forthcoming if onyl he/she had waited until registration.

I can understand there being a reasonable time to ponder the alternatives beyond the strict limits given b ut not holding these cards until the last possible moment.

So say you get accepted by 2 different med schools in 2 different provinces....let's say UBC and U of T, for example. You really can't choose between the two and in order to give yourself more time to decide (since UBC only gives you 4 days), you accept both and pay the deposit on both.

So my question is, when you do you have to decide FOR SURE? I.e., when is the last possible moment when you can go back to a school and say "I know I accepted your offer, but I changed my mind"?

If the two are really so equally weighted in your mind that you cannot decide logically, rely on luck and flip a coin. That's where fate wants you to go.

Of course, you can start the exercise now and assume that you will be accepted at every school to which you have applied and rank them according to preference. Then the decision is simple. This is what I have done so I know now what I will do under any scenario, including non-acceptance.

Of course, you can start the exercise now and assume that you will be accepted at every school to which you have applied and rank them according to preference. Then the decision is simple. This is what I have done so I know now what I will do under any scenario, including non-acceptance.

Thinking is hard, flip a coin! :P but seriously, I could see myself doing that... med schools are all so awesome

high achiever, are we?

Some schools allow you to take a conditional acceptance, for a smaller or no deposit, which I suppose is for the purpose of waiting to see if another offer comes along.

It is looked down upon to firmly accept 2 offers of admission concurrently (ie: pay the deposit and hold at seat at each). If either of the schools finds out, they will likely give you 24 hours (or less) to make a decision.

I had this problem. I was accepted at my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choices, but was waitlisted at my 1st choice. I eventually chose U of M, and submitted my deposit to firmly hold my spot. Weeks later, I received acceptance at my 1st choice (U of C), paid my deposit to them, and wrote to the U of M stating I was revoking my acceptance and forfeiting my deposit.

high achiever, are we?

Well when you get interviewed at 3 universities in 3 different provinces, this is a valid question I think.

I had this problem. I was accepted at my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choices, but was waitlisted at my 1st choice. I eventually chose U of M, and submitted my deposit to firmly hold my spot. Weeks later, I received acceptance at my 1st choice (U of C), paid my deposit to them, and wrote to the U of M stating I was revoking my acceptance and forfeiting my deposit.

So what did U of M say when this happened?

wow, you think a lot, me think little, me hold until me make good decision so me no make bad irrevocable decision which will cause irrevocable depression

I would imagine the last possible moment would be time of registration/payment but ethical considerations would presumably come into play long before then as you have received a gift and would unfairly, needlessly be putting the lives of others on hold or worse, e.g., someone who would have been next in line has made an irrevocable commitment for the next year in the reasonable expectation that there was no hope so late in the year, when there was no way of knowing otherwise that an o ffer would be forthcoming if onyl he/she had waited until registration.

I can understand there being a reasonable time to ponder the alternatives beyond the strict limits given b ut not holding these cards until the last possible moment.

On the U of T admissions blog, it was stated that the Canadian Medical Schools share their acceptance list. So you can only hold one spot at a Canadian Medical School at a time. So you could, theoretically, pay the UBC deposit and hold out for two weeks until you would have to pay an Ontario deposit.

This question is very simple. First, you have to do is to stop As a nugget. Then give your two seats to the African children you saved, if you were in Africa.

Archived