Premed 101 Forums

Marijuana

blind_synergy

Smoke?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Smoke?

• I smoke regularly...
    • I smoke on certain occassions, like parties...
    • I've tried it or would like to...
    • I've never tried it and never will...

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Note: I don't smoke marijuana but I think it should be legalized for a few reasons:

1) Everyday, hundreds of people in NA are arrested for just possessing marijuana (many of whom are just teenagers or kids). WHY??? I believe that there are more serious problems for police to worry about such as murders, fraud then to waste time arresting people who are just using it responsibly for recreational use.

2) Costs. I think we can all agree that the war on drugs has been a complete failure. On top of that, it's costing the government a fortune in legal fees and resources. Also many drug dealers would go out of business if people could just purchase it legally. The revenue that could be generated (taxes on purchasing marijuana) would be huge.

3) Some people argue that its a gateway drug and that if you legalize marijuana then you will become addicted to all other drugs. That's bogus. Studies have shown that it is not, and that it is hardly addictive compared to lets say alcohol!

4) And speaking of alcohol, why is it okay for alcohol to be legal and not marijuana? Think about it, alcohol is far more dangerous that marijuana (ex.drunk driving). If anyone thinks marijuana shouldn't be legalized, I wana know why then is it okay for alcohol to be legal. To me it makes no sense.

Eventually it will be legalized, these sorts of things take time lol

Note: I don't smoke marijuana but I think it should be legalized for a few reasons:

1) Everyday, hundreds of people in NA are arrested for just possessing marijuana (many of whom are just teenagers or kids). WHY??? I believe that there are more serious problems for police to worry about such as murders, fraud then to waste time arresting people who are just using it responsibly for recreational use.

2) Costs. I think we can all agree that the war on drugs has been a complete failure. On top of that, it's costing the government a fortune in legal fees and resources. Also many drug dealers would go out of business if people could just purchase it legally. The revenue that could be generated (taxes on purchasing marijuana) would be huge.

3) Some people argue that its a gateway drug and that if you legalize marijuana then you will become addicted to all other drugs. That's bogus. Studies have shown that it is not, and that it is hardly addictive compared to lets say alcohol!

4) And speaking of alcohol, why is it okay for alcohol to be legal and not marijuana? Think about it, alcohol is far more dangerous that marijuana (ex.drunk driving). If anyone thinks marijuana shouldn't be legalized, I wana know why then is it okay for alcohol to be legal. To me it makes no sense.

Eventually it will be legalized, these sorts of things take time lol

1) I think people that get arrested for possesion aren't being sought out just for marijuana possession. But when you catch someone for say speeding or a stolen car or gang-related activity, there's a chance that you find some sort of narcotics around as well (happens in Cops all the time ;) )

3) Alcohol isn't addictive like say nicotine, but there begins to be a strong dependence on it after a time and eventually it becomes very difficult to quit from alcohol use (thus the formation of organizations like A.A.). So I would argue that alcohol is addictive

4) I agree with you here for sure. If it was up to me, cigarettes/alcohol would be illegal. But the last time alcohol was prohibited it failed miserably, so I don't think it's viable. Sucks, but yea that's how it is unfortunately.

It completely boggles my mind how corporations make money off things that harm others like alcohol and cigarettes. It's a damn shame

I've never smoked it because, even though all of my friends in high school did, I didn't want to have it appear as if I were caving in to peer pressure. Also my dad would have kicked my ass if he thought I were doing drugs.

At this point in my life, however, I know enough to realize that the War on Drugs promulgated by Nixon and kept alive to this day by the religious/racist/"pro-family" groups in the States is a bunch of BS. In fact, all drug laws are BS. But I guess we need to find some way to put people in jail for victimless crimes. That particular brand of tyranny is in short supply these days. Times, they are a changin', however, so maybe when the US gets its head out of its ass and ends the disastrous campaign against drugs we'll be able to chill out ourselves (and especially, Mexico will cool its heals).

Edit: Don't really see a benefit/point to smoke it

As if to suggest you only do things in life that have a point or benefit? That's a bit of a stretch.

why the hell should marijuana be legalized? all it does is have bad effects on your health.............

So does smoking, drinking, junk/fast food, pop, etc etc etc. The job of the government is not to tell people what to do with their own bodies. That's the kind of nonsense that kept homosexuality, abortion, and all sorts of other things a crime for as long as it had. If people want to drink, smoke, engage in homosexual acts, or do drugs, that should be nobody's business but their own, as they are adults living in a "free" country and are doing something that hurts nobody but themselves.

Certainly, however, you can see how stupid it is to throw people in jail for doing these things. Their actions impact nobody but themselves, so they deserve to have their freedom taken away from them? It's completely outrageous.

I've tried it a couple of times when when I was fourteen, because I was curious. That was enough to know there is NO FUN, in getting high.

My head was light and heavy at the same time, I was in a constant feeling that I would pass out, and I couldn't stop laughing... Physically I was laughing but emotionally I was annoyed I couldn't behave normal. I felt like a hollow puppet. It was a very weird, and hollow feeling. Not to mention it weakens, and tires out the body.

There is NO good that comes from marijuana, but I'm not a prude about it either. If other people smoke it, then I don't care.

why the hell should marijuana be legalized? all it does is have bad effects on your health.............

The adverse effects of marijuana should not be the only determinants for outlawing it. Just look at how probihition nurtured gangsters in US...

Then, again, by legalizing marijuana, teenagers would have much easier access to this drug, and, given curiosity as the major proponent of people smoking, it would NOT be good...

The adverse effects of marijuana should not be the only determinants for outlawing it. Just look at how probihition nurtured gangsters in US...

And how the current War on Drugs has given rise to drug cartels that are tearing Mexico apart. All that stuff you see on the news, about boarder violence and Ciudad Juarez being a hellhole of death and crime, that is completely because a bunch of politicians in the States want to tell people what they can and can't do to their own bodies.

funny coincidence that the topic of medical marijuana was just on Nurse Jackie, and Toronto police just busted a compassionate marijuana dealer - or rather not a coincidence, and instead The Star wanted to capitalize on the juxtaposition and wrote an article that would otherwise not have been written

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/796638--when-marijuana-is-the-only-source-of-relief

I'm not a regularly smoker nor have I ever purchased weed; however, I still think it should be legalized. Legalizing and regulating marijuana like alcohol would:

1) Destroy an entire criminal industry.

2) Pull in massive revenues through taxation and American tourism.

3) Take a large burden off of police forces, courts, and jails.

Chretien had the right idea. ****ing American anti-drug lobby.

just b/c it is bad for your health doesn't mean it shouldn't be legal!

Are you saying then that processed foods (i.e fast food), smoking, alcohol etc should all be illegal???

We should have the right to decide for ourselves what we want to do and to take responsibility for those actions.

If we legalize drugs in Canada we risk ramifications from the States. Maybe not under Obama, but if they ever elect another Republican then there could be trouble. The Republican faction of their political system is filled with old, religious white people who think it's their god-given job to tell everyone on the planet what they can and cannot do. Having a country on their boarder which doesn't hold the same values as them regarding drugs would probably be too much for them to handle. Although I agree, political fallout aside, it's all benefits from legalizing it. Also, it ends the completely hypocritical system in place now, prosecuting people for a crime no worse than drinking alcohol.

Then, again, by legalizing marijuana, teenagers would have much easier access to this drug, and, given curiosity as the major proponent of people smoking, it would NOT be good...

Teens already have very easy access to weed. I never smoked in high-school and I knew probably four or five guys I could buy it from. Keep in mind that I went to a relatively affluent high-school, so it's not like I grew up in Rexdale or something. If anything, marijuana was easier to get because it was illegal; at least with alcohol and cigarrettes people get IDed. A dealer's not going to care if he's selling to a twelve year old.

I've also seen very compelling evidence to lower the drinking age. MADD ****ed things up bad in the States; they're directly responsible for all that college binge-drinking that goes on behind closed-doors in the States which arguably leads bad decisions in lieu of responsible supervision. People are going to drink under-age. It's better if they do it out in the open where they can be watched.

If we legalize drugs in Canada we risk ramifications from the States. Maybe not under Obama, but if they ever elect another Republican then there could be trouble. The Republican faction of their political system is filled with old, religious white people who think it's their god-given job to tell everyone on the planet what they can and cannot do. Having a country on their boarder which doesn't hold the same values as them regarding drugs would probably be too much for them to handle. Although I agree, political fallout aside, it's all benefits from legalizing it. Also, it ends the completely hypocritical system in place now, prosecuting people for a crime no worse than drinking alcohol.

I'm happy to see California is finally voting for the legalization of marijuana in November. God knows they need the money lol but I think it would be a very important step in legalization for rest of states and Canada

I'm happy to see California is finally voting for the legalization of marijuana in November. God knows they need the money lol but I think it would be a very important step in legalization for rest of states and Canada

They passed Prop 8. What chance does pot have? I think it's awesome they're actually debating the issue, as that's the first step, but I am not optimistic about its outcome. The same kinds of people who think it's alright to deprive homosexuals of equal rights are the same sorts of people who would vote against legalizing marijuana.

When everything's legalized, everyone has access to them, and people may try things without understanding the implications. That's one reason for controlling dangerous substances. If heroin was legalized, and people tried it without knowing much about it, the consequences can be devastating.

Lowering the legal drinking age is ridiculous. If it's 18 now, then people under 18 will drink underage. Lower it to 16 and people under 16 will drink underage. No matter where you put it, whoever is just below the required age will be tempted. You can't lower it to ridiculously low levels.

I believe smoking should be banned outright. I couldn't care less if people decided to waste money and kill themselves but how much healthcare funding goes to taking care and treating people who have diseases from smoking? THAT is something affecting other people.

I've smoked a dozen or so times, at parties or typically at times when I'm with friends and having a few drinks.

I agree there isn't really a point besides making you feel good (much like drinking), but I have to say that there is NOTHING better to keep me motivated on school/work for another month than wasting a night 'hanging out' smoking a joint and drinking.

All I really have to say on the matter (because in the end, this is a subject I'm very passionate about and there's a lot of intrinsic bias in this debate, whether people recognize it or not) is that I don't support smoking in youth and I don't support smoking as an excuse (for being lazy, whatever). But I enjoy it a lot. It opens up areas my mind to thoughts I'd otherwise never have, it helps me relax, it makes video games more fun, there's just a lot of positive aspects that I experience. A majority of people I know have negative reactions, and that's totally fine. I think yoga is a complete joke, I find naturopathic medicine to be detrimental to society, but I understand that they can really mean a lot to some people (for better or for worse), just like marijuana. Just because your uncle is a deadbeat doesn't mean that marijuana and other drugs (hallucinogens, specifically) can't provide very interesting and rewarding experiences for the users if done in a responsible and mature fashion

All I really have to say on the matter (because in the end, this is a subject I'm very passionate about and there's a lot of intrinsic bias in this debate, whether people recognize it or not) is that I don't support smoking in youth and I don't support smoking as an excuse (for being lazy, whatever). But I enjoy it a lot. It opens up areas my mind to thoughts I'd otherwise never have, it helps me relax, it makes video games more fun, there's just a lot of positive aspects that I experience. A majority of people I know have negative reactions, and that's totally fine. I think yoga is a complete joke, I find naturopathic medicine to be detrimental to society, but I understand that they can really mean a lot to some people (for better or for worse), just like marijuana. Just because your uncle is a deadbeat doesn't mean that marijuana and other drugs (hallucinogens, specifically) can't provide very interesting and rewarding experiences for the users if done in a responsible and mature fashion

Unfortunately I can't find the article now, but Carl Sagan (one of the greatest rational voices of the twentieth century) wrote an amazing piece on the potential virtues of marijuana and his own "euphoric" experiences with it. There's a hilarious part where he talks about how it greatly enhanced his orgasms.

This thread seems to be an appropriate place, so I have a couple of questions on substance abuse statistics

1) does anyone have a stat on the cost of cigarettes/alcohol (health care, etc) vs the revenue generated through taxes?

2) does anyone who's really up to date on the matter actually have any scientific articles showing the detrimental effects on marijuana? I like to keep as up to date as i can, but there's hundreds of articles posted per week on pub med and the like so it's challenging. It would at least make this debate more constructive instead of leading to the old "I value my brain cells/lungs/whatever" rebuttles

Archived