Premed 101 Forums

# of Stations You Did Well on

med2014

How many stations did you do well on?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. How many stations did you do well on?

• I did well on all 10 stations
    • I did well on 9 stations
    • I did well on 8 stations
    • I did well on 7 stations
    • I did well on 6 stations
    • I did well on 5 stations
    • I did well on 4 stations
    • I did well on 3 stations
    • I did well on 2 stations
    • I did well on 0-1 stations

For those of you who believe you didn't do well on two stations, there were two stations where you were supposed to fail. The idea was to see how you handle failure. This is what I've heard at least and it does makes sense.

Were you told which stations those were? I can't really pinpoint which stations might have been designed to cause failure....

the hardest station IMO was the one where the actress refused to answer questions and was just a reclusive *****. It was really hard to probe her for answers.

That being said, Dr Razack and his team have determined a few biases and "hitches" with the MMI. Namely, it provides an unfair advantage to students who already have OSCE experience, and who have been involved in leadership positions (supervisors, team leaders, counselors, project managers).

There was one station (I'm sure we all remember) that was geared more towards critical thinking and creativity. Clearly, it was an impossible station to arrive at an answer for, but they were grading us on our process, and not the answer. As long as we stayed calm, kept working, and were able to come up with cool/creative ways of attacking the problem, we'd do fine.

That being said, Dr Razack and his team have determined a few biases and "hitches" with the MMI. Namely, it provides an unfair advantage to students who already have OSCE experience, and who have been involved in leadership positions (supervisors, team leaders, counselors, project managers).

I don't know what OSCE is, but whatever advantage people have from leadership positions isn't exactly "unfair" imo and I don't see how they could consider this a "hitch." Don't schools want people who have been leaders, and who have the qualities that come along with that? These qualities will cause an advantage in the MMI, but I thought that was the whole point, being able to weed out people who lack these qualities.

May 7th can't come soon enough! :)

I don't know what OSCE is, but whatever advantage people have from leadership positions isn't exactly "unfair" imo and I don't see how they could consider this a "hitch." Don't schools want people who have been leaders, and who have the qualities that come along with that? These qualities will cause an advantage in the MMI, but I thought that was the whole point, being able to weed out people who lack these qualities.

lol, my thoughts exactly

Rach: You're absolutely right that McGill (or any medical University) values people with leadership experience and it doesn't constitute a "hitch". Dr Razack was referring to a specific type of leadership position (I cant write it on this forum because it'll give away too much on the nature of the station thatwe went through).

Without giving away too much, in Razack and Drolet's presentation to McGill, they referred to a bias in one station being like, "Having worked in a retail store over the last few summers and having a station that required the candidates to sell clothes to an unruly customer"

The presentation is available to anyone that wants it, just search around and you'll find it.

Sorry for the blanket statement about leadership positions being a bias, its actually just 1 specific "job" that was identified which may cause discrimination between the MMI outcomes.

The OSCE (aww-ski) are objective structured clinical examinations, and are exactly what we did during the MMI's. They are usually administered to MED2/3 students during ICM's or during/after their clinicals so they can practice the medical patient interview. Instead of random scenarios, there are SP's (standardized patients) inside the rooms, and it is the medical students job to interview the patient and get as much history as they can before giving their DD's.

PT/OT students have extensive OSCE experience, and may be considered at an advantage over other science students.

Sorry for the blanket statement about leadership positions being a bias, its actually just 1 specific "job" that was identified which may cause discrimination between the MMI outcomes.

Ok thanks for the clarification. With your example in mind, I guess there would be a bit of an advantage for certain people, in certain stations. Hopefully with the use of 10 stations, there's more of a chance for everyone to show their qualities.

The OSCE (aww-ski) are objective structured clinical examinations, and are exactly what we did during the MMI's. They are usually administered to MED2/3 students during ICM's or during/after their clinicals so they can practice the medical patient interview. Instead of random scenarios, there are SP's (standardized patients) inside the rooms, and it is the medical students job to interview the patient and get as much history as they can before giving their DD's.

PT/OT students have extensive OSCE experience, and may be considered at an advantage over other science students.

I am familiar with standardized patients being used at most schools just not too familiar with that being called OSCE. I didn't realize that PT and OT students would also be getting that training, thanks for clarifying.

Rach: You're absolutely right that McGill (or any medical University) values people with leadership experience and it doesn't constitute a "hitch". Dr Razack was referring to a specific type of leadership position (I cant write it on this forum because it'll give away too much on the nature of the station thatwe went through).

Without giving away too much, in Razack and Drolet's presentation to McGill, they referred to a bias in one station being like, "Having worked in a retail store over the last few summers and having a station that required the candidates to sell clothes to an unruly customer"

The presentation is available to anyone that wants it, just search around and you'll find it.

Ahhhh ok, ya that makes sense. I guess any advantage they would have at this station though would be diffused by the other 9 stations.

One week left!!!!! Ughhhhh I'm slowly going insane!

Ahhhh ok, ya that makes sense. I guess any advantage they would have at this station though would be diffused by the other 9 stations.

One week left!!!!! Ughhhhh I'm slowly going insane!

Friday is so slow in coming. :( Anyone know if we were supposed to send in our winter grades, if we already got them back?

Archived