Premed 101 Forums

IMS @ U of T

hi all

so i'm wondering if there is anyone here who has applied to IMS at U of T?

when are your interviews? mine is in May and i'm nervous!

also, does anyone know when they announce decisions? is it on a rolling basis, or do they wait until all the interviews are done and then they anounce if you have gained admission at the end?

and does IMS have a quota for grad (masters) students, and if so, what is it?

hi all

so i'm wondering if there is anyone here who has applied to IMS at U of T?

when are your interviews? mine is in May and i'm nervous!

also, does anyone know when they announce decisions? is it on a rolling basis, or do they wait until all the interviews are done and then they anounce if you have gained admission at the end?

and does IMS have a quota for grad (masters) students, and if so, what is it?

Sorry this is sooo off topic. What is IMS? :) Haha.

You have no idea how happy these kinds of posts make me because I'm not the only one having to go through an interview stage and then wait for them to decide in May. Sigh. Why can't this process be easier?! I'm off topic. Sorry. :o

Institute of Medical Sciences. Its a very decentralized assortment of graduate studies (lots of imm, cell bio, imaging etc all related to med) combined into a "department". Heard that out of the masters, these actually get pretty good funding and are "cushy" to an extent. Excellent idea if want to do med later, because everything is immediately relevant to human medicine. And to answer the OP's question, since IMS is so well funded, it would appear (at least from some info sessions I went to during the summer), that competition is stiff and they are not able to take all qualified applicants

Hello,

I am a 2nd year MSc student in IMS. I recall having my interview in May as well, and it was very easy, so relax. Your interview will likely be with one of the grad coordinators, and it will mostly revolve around some basic questions (i.e. do you have a supervisor? does your supervisor have money to fund you? will you have external funding such as CIHR/NSERC/OGS, etc?). They will likely ask you what your plans are after your MSc. If it's medicine, then absolutely say so. The IMS (unlike many other grad programs at U of T, even in the Faculty of Medicine) strongly encourages students to pursue medical school. I think overall something like 40% of MSc grads go onto med school. I think upwards of 50% of the grad students in IMS already have their MD, and are pursuing grad work during residency (for example the surgical-scientist training program is very popular - really, really crazy research going on there).

The program is relatively competitive as far as grad school goes. You need a minimum of a 3.7 in your last two years to be accepted. They are NOT flexible about that like other departments are, as I know of a few people who were rejected from IMS due to lower grades, even with potential IMS supervisors who spoke on their behalf. They never got an interview though, so I assume if you're at the interview stage, you're pretty much in. Never heard of anyone getting turned down post-interview, though it might happen. I do not believe that there is a quota. As far as I was told, they'd accept anyone who meets the academic requirements, and who can secure a supervisor (you don't need to have a supervisor by the time you interview, but you do need one by the time the school year starts, obviously). Coursework is pretty light. I'm a 2nd year MSc though, and the coursework changed this past year for the incoming 1st years (talk to Law). But in addition to the IMS workload (which is very light), you need 1.0 full credit of grad courses (two half courses). Grad courses need not simply be from IMS, but can be taken with any department of SGS.

I am in basic sciences, but I feel like there is a roughly 50/50 split between basic and clinical sciences. At the IMS orientation, they told us our program was the best funded grad program in the country. The minimum stipend for a non-MD IMS master's student is $24,500/year, but this goes up to $27,500/year if you can secure an external award (greater than $10,000, like an OGS). This also does not include funding from TAships, like other programs require. It does put a lot of fiscal pressure on your supervisor though, so you'd better be willing to work hard, haha.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and good luck!

Hello,

I'm also a second year MSc in IMS. I'm in the clinical science stream, though they don't place much emphasis on streams anymore.

I interviewed the April before I was admitted, and my interview was VERY laid back. Do expect to be asked questions about your plans post-masters. I mentioned both med school and research, and the interviewer seemed pretty satisfied by that--they expect that you may want to try for med school. You may want to bring research you're currently working on so that you can talk about that a bit.

I'm not really sure how I got the interview, because my GPA was below the required entrance GPA for the program, but I managed to get into the program by asking the interviewer to hold my application for an extra month so that I could create a supplemental application (of my own devising) that would demonstrate that I wasn't a liability to the program. My point is that while I have heard that the competition is stiff, there is certainly more flexibility than people realise in gaining admission. I did already have funding and a supervisor, and quite good grades in my final two years of undergrad (if I recall, IMS requires three years).

On that note, IMS does have a well-deserved reputation for excellent stipends. You start off with a pretty nice stipend ($24 500), and if you secure outside funding you will receive a merit bonus, bringing your stipend up to $27 500. I was fortunate that I then also received an open fellowship that brought my stipend up to $30 000. It is possible to fund your education pretty comfortably.

As for your question about rolling vs. batch admission, they must not be done in a single batch, because I wasn't admitted until July (because of having my application held, my supplemental package).

I hope I've covered everything--happy to answer anything else!

It's a 3.7 the last three years isn't it?

Yes, you are correct. My mistake. Requirements from the website:

"MSc Program

A 4-year Honours BA or BSc, or an MD from a recognized university program (see above).

Minimum A- (3.7/4, 80% or First Class Distinction) average in three of the four years (including final year) of the undergraduate degree"

Also, agreed with the last couple posts. Depending on your hospital or campus, you might find yourself pretty isolated from the rest of the program. I did find everyone in my presentations class to be pretty cool though, and as Neuronix said, the pubnights are fun.

Synch: That's a really interesting situation. There was a student in my lab though who didn't get an interview despite my supervisor telling the department that he wanted him as a grad student. He ended up getting in through my supervisor's other grad department. Nice to know there is some flexibility though.

Yes, you are correct. My mistake. Requirements from the website:

"MSc Program

A 4-year Honours BA or BSc, or an MD from a recognized university program (see above).

Minimum A- (3.7/4, 80% or First Class Distinction) average in three of the four years (including final year) of the undergraduate degree"

Also, agreed with the last couple posts. Depending on your hospital or campus, you might find yourself pretty isolated from the rest of the program. I did find everyone in my presentations class to be pretty cool though, and as Neuronix said, the pubnights are fun.

Synch: That's a really interesting situation. There was a student in my lab though who didn't get an interview despite my supervisor telling the department that he wanted him as a grad student. He ended up getting in through my supervisor's other grad department. Nice to know there is some flexibility though.

Yeah, it was a little strange.

The interviewer mentioned that I had really strong letters of reference and an interesting application, and that the only thing holding me back was a year of grades, so I made some sort of last ditch plea along the lines of, "It would really be a shame to see my academic career end in your office because of grades I earned 4 years ago. Don't you agree?" If I had been interviewing me, I probably would have thrown up at that point, but my interviewer's momentary lapse in judgement worked in my favour...

Yeah, it was a little strange.

The interviewer mentioned that I had really strong letters of reference and an interesting application, and that the only thing holding me back was a year of grades, so I made some sort of last ditch plea along the lines of, "It would really be a shame to see my academic career end in your office because of grades I earned 4 years ago. Don't you agree?" If I had been interviewing me, I probably would have thrown up at that point, but my interviewer's momentary lapse in judgement worked in my favour...

The interviewer did not have a lapse of judgment, rather it was sheeer brilliance on your part in creatively make him focus on his grave responsibility and the opportunity he had to move forward your career as a deserving applicant. Well done I say! :)

The interviewer did not have a lapse of judgment, rather it was sheeer brilliance on your part in creatively make him focus on his grave responsibility and the opportunity he had to move forward your career as a deserving applicant. Well done I say! :)

Uh...yes, that's what I meant.

There's ALWAYS room for flexibility in admissions.

You certainly made your point then and now!

I guess so.

So often it really does come down to advocating strongly for yourself, even if you do feel like a bit of a douche for doing it.

I don't know if I should even admit this, but I was rejected by a school this year, and I wrote them back essentially explaining why their rejection was based on a short-sighted policy. I didn't ask for an interview, but I did ask about my future eligibility--they invited me for an interview anyway.

I'm not at all a pushy person normally, but I do believe in my strength as a researcher and my potential strength as a physician and I don't think it's always fair to make assessments based on how we students did in courses we took several years ago. Unfortunately, with such a huge applicant pool, sometimes people get cut unless they stand up and speak for themselves.

You have done a remarkable job of "marketing yourself" by a simple, straightforward, diasarmingly direct approach that puts the other side off balance and forces them to rethink, reflect and reconsider with a sympathetic bias. You are being innovative and creative!

For this, I congratulate you. And there is no reason whatsoever to feel like a douche. On the contrary, you have the ability to simply problems to their essence and to find quick, practical solutions that escape others.

I have full confidence in your abilities as researcher and as future physician. You navigate well in gale force seas, not only surviving, but thriving. Well done, indeed. If a person cannot advocate and stand up for themselves, then who can?

When I would interview for a job, for fun and to knock the interviewer off balance and change the power position, I would ask "Why did you join this organization? How long have you been with them? Why did you not consider the competition?" Etc. This would immediately make me the interviewer, lol, and the interviewer would spend time trying to convince me to work for his organization. He is not used to feeling like that when interviewing and so, he instinctively wanted me on his team.

I guess so.

So often it really does come down to advocating strongly for yourself, even if you do feel like a bit of a douche for doing it.

I don't know if I should even admit this, but I was rejected by a school this year, and I wrote them back essentially explaining why their rejection was based on a short-sighted policy. I didn't ask for an interview, but I did ask about my future eligibility--they invited me for an interview anyway.

I'm not at all a pushy person normally, but I do believe in my strength as a researcher and my potential strength as a physician and I don't think it's always fair to make assessments based on how we students did in courses we took several years ago. Unfortunately, with such a huge applicant pool, sometimes people get cut unless they stand up and speak for themselves.

Did you write an e-mail? This is giving me a VERY good idea about one of the competitive programs I'm trying to enter this year. Did you explain your situation in a letter or just state that you have all of these qualities that make you a well qualified student? I'm thinking of sending it in with my final transcript - for them to review. Is that a bad idea? Sorry to just butt into a convo like this. It's great to see that people stand up for themselves. I feel like I should be doing that too. :)

Did you write an e-mail? This is giving me a VERY good idea about one of the competitive programs I'm trying to enter this year. Did you explain your situation in a letter or just state that you have all of these qualities that make you a well qualified student? I'm thinking of sending it in with my final transcript - for them to review. Is that a bad idea? Sorry to just butt into a convo like this. It's great to see that people stand up for themselves. I feel like I should be doing that too. :)

Yes, I wrote them an email.

I'm not sure where something like that falls on the good-bad continuum generally speaking; I just had nothing to lose and had been told in very clear terms why I was rejected. Really, I just wanted to know whether I should waste my time on this school during the next round of applications, and I figured that I might as well take one more kick at the can, so to speak.

In my email, I mentioned each criterion of theirs I had met briefly and in turn, and then I pointed out that the one I had failed to meet (which had resulted in my rejection) went against the overall vision of the program. Then I pointed out where I was well-qualified and why I had not met the criterion. Last, I asked the admissions committee to comment on my eligibility in the future. I did my best to remain polite and diplomatic while communicating my beliefs and concerns firmly and sincerely. It wasn't exactly easy, because I had just been rejected!

I don't want to get into too many specifics in case I inadvertently identify myself or the school, so pardon the overall vagueness.

I don't know that this is something I'd make a habit of, but I DO know that each of us understands our situation best, and sometimes the admissions committees really do need their attention pulled toward some unique circumstances.

Hello,

I am a 2nd year MSc student in IMS. I recall having my interview in May as well, and it was very easy, so relax. Your interview will likely be with one of the grad coordinators, and it will mostly revolve around some basic questions (i.e. do you have a supervisor? does your supervisor have money to fund you? will you have external funding such as CIHR/NSERC/OGS, etc?). They will likely ask you what your plans are after your MSc. If it's medicine, then absolutely say so. The IMS (unlike many other grad programs at U of T, even in the Faculty of Medicine) strongly encourages students to pursue medical school. I think overall something like 40% of MSc grads go onto med school. I think upwards of 50% of the grad students in IMS already have their MD, and are pursuing grad work during residency (for example the surgical-scientist training program is very popular - really, really crazy research going on there).

The program is relatively competitive as far as grad school goes. You need a minimum of a 3.7 in your last two years to be accepted. They are NOT flexible about that like other departments are, as I know of a few people who were rejected from IMS due to lower grades, even with potential IMS supervisors who spoke on their behalf. They never got an interview though, so I assume if you're at the interview stage, you're pretty much in. Never heard of anyone getting turned down post-interview, though it might happen. I do not believe that there is a quota. As far as I was told, they'd accept anyone who meets the academic requirements, and who can secure a supervisor (you don't need to have a supervisor by the time you interview, but you do need one by the time the school year starts, obviously). Coursework is pretty light. I'm a 2nd year MSc though, and the coursework changed this past year for the incoming 1st years (talk to Law). But in addition to the IMS workload (which is very light), you need 1.0 full credit of grad courses (two half courses). Grad courses need not simply be from IMS, but can be taken with any department of SGS.

I am in basic sciences, but I feel like there is a roughly 50/50 split between basic and clinical sciences. At the IMS orientation, they told us our program was the best funded grad program in the country. The minimum stipend for a non-MD IMS master's student is $24,500/year, but this goes up to $27,500/year if you can secure an external award (greater than $10,000, like an OGS). This also does not include funding from TAships, like other programs require. It does put a lot of fiscal pressure on your supervisor though, so you'd better be willing to work hard, haha.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and good luck!

thank you SO much! i PM'd you :)

Hello,

I'm also a second year MSc in IMS. I'm in the clinical science stream, though they don't place much emphasis on streams anymore.

I interviewed the April before I was admitted, and my interview was VERY laid back. Do expect to be asked questions about your plans post-masters. I mentioned both med school and research, and the interviewer seemed pretty satisfied by that--they expect that you may want to try for med school. You may want to bring research you're currently working on so that you can talk about that a bit.

I'm not really sure how I got the interview, because my GPA was below the required entrance GPA for the program, but I managed to get into the program by asking the interviewer to hold my application for an extra month so that I could create a supplemental application (of my own devising) that would demonstrate that I wasn't a liability to the program. My point is that while I have heard that the competition is stiff, there is certainly more flexibility than people realise in gaining admission. I did already have funding and a supervisor, and quite good grades in my final two years of undergrad (if I recall, IMS requires three years).

On that note, IMS does have a well-deserved reputation for excellent stipends. You start off with a pretty nice stipend ($24 500), and if you secure outside funding you will receive a merit bonus, bringing your stipend up to $27 500. I was fortunate that I then also received an open fellowship that brought my stipend up to $30 000. It is possible to fund your education pretty comfortably.

As for your question about rolling vs. batch admission, they must not be done in a single batch, because I wasn't admitted until July (because of having my application held, my supplemental package).

I hope I've covered everything--happy to answer anything else!

thank you so very much to you also, i PM'd you as well! and it's great to hear about how you were able to convince them! :)

you CAN get rejected post interview, but the way they do it is give you advice on how to to improve your application for the following year. If you adhere to their advice, you'll probably be able to get in the next year.

It is the best funded in UofT, or at least it used to be. These days I'm pretty sure Physiology and Immuno are pretty much up to par with regards to funding.

It's a good program, but the problem is that you don't really feel like you're part of a homebase. That said, the pubnights are fun.

do you know anyone who got rejected? and what the reason for it was? was it marks/lack of funding/lack of supervisor?

couple of other questions:

1) their reference letter guidelines said that letters can be from any faculty members and i got one from my undergrad coordinator who is NOT a professor - the other 2 letters were from professors though - does this matter? :confused:

2) when did you guys get your acceptance letters/emails? which month?

thank you all so much! :)

couple of other questions:

1) their reference letter guidelines said that letters can be from any faculty members and i got one from my undergrad coordinator who is NOT a professor - the other 2 letters were from professors though - does this matter? :confused:

2) when did you guys get your acceptance letters/emails? which month?

thank you all so much! :)

1) I think mine were all from professors, but not all professors who had taught me (one was a professor in the faculty of med for whom I had worked; she became my supervisor). I don't see how your situation is much different.

2) I didn't get my letter of acceptance until the beginning of July.

Yes, I wrote them an email.

I'm not sure where something like that falls on the good-bad continuum generally speaking; I just had nothing to lose and had been told in very clear terms why I was rejected. Really, I just wanted to know whether I should waste my time on this school during the next round of applications, and I figured that I might as well take one more kick at the can, so to speak.

In my email, I mentioned each criterion of theirs I had met briefly and in turn, and then I pointed out that the one I had failed to meet (which had resulted in my rejection) went against the overall vision of the program. Then I pointed out where I was well-qualified and why I had not met the criterion. Last, I asked the admissions committee to comment on my eligibility in the future. I did my best to remain polite and diplomatic while communicating my beliefs and concerns firmly and sincerely. It wasn't exactly easy, because I had just been rejected!

I don't want to get into too many specifics in case I inadvertently identify myself or the school, so pardon the overall vagueness.

I don't know that this is something I'd make a habit of, but I DO know that each of us understands our situation best, and sometimes the admissions committees really do need their attention pulled toward some unique circumstances.

Thanks for that. I'm probably going to do the same thing. Like you said, there's nothing to lose after being rejected (and I haven't been rejected yet - this is just in case). I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to say. Obviously, I'm not going to come off as arrogant or pushy, but just thank them for their time and consideration and then sort of say why I applied...

not sure...sorry.

Also, just wanted to let you all know that the institution or department you went to doesn't matter as much as the proffessor or lab you came from.

The bottom line is to go to someone who is nice, publishes alot and whom you can get along with. If it's IMS, Physiology, or Clown College - grad school is what you make of it. Not just the name of the school.

not sure...sorry.

Also, just wanted to let you all know that the institution or department you went to doesn't matter as much as the proffessor or lab you came from.

The bottom line is to go to someone who is nice, publishes alot and whom you can get along with. If it's IMS, Physiology, or Clown College - grad school is what you make of it. Not just the name of the school.

THIS.

With that said, with regard to supervisors: It can be hard to know whether you can get along with your supervisor until you've actually tried. You end up making your best guess, but don't freak out too much about it, and don't kick yourself if you make a bad choice. In the end, you may have to work hard to make your supervisory relationship work (I did! SO hard sometimes.), or move on to greener pastures. It's much like any other relationship that way.