Premed 101 Forums

IMS @ U of T

THIS.

With that said, with regard to supervisors: It can be hard to know whether you can get along with your supervisor until you've actually tried. You end up making your best guess, but don't freak out too much about it, and don't kick yourself if you make a bad choice. In the end, you may have to work hard to make your supervisory relationship work (I did! SO hard sometimes.), or move on to greener pastures. It's much like any other relationship that way.

You could make sure you pick the right supervisor by:

a) listening to your gut when you first meet them

B) asking their grad students about them

c) asking other students that they have taught about them

d) asking professors in the same field what they think about them

This saves you a lot of headaches later on. You might still get a bad supervisor, but at least you've eliminated 99% of that possibility.

You could make sure you pick the right supervisor by:

a) listening to your gut when you first meet them

B) asking their grad students about them

c) asking other students that they have taught about them

d) asking professors in the same field what they think about them

This saves you a lot of headaches later on. You might still get a bad supervisor, but at least you've eliminated 99% of that possibility.

You can do all of those things. You SHOULD do all those things. But I had worked with my supervisor for two and a half years before becoming her graduate student. I knew her, and I knew her students. I just found the supervisory relationship different than I had anticipated. It was fine; we worked through it. But you use the information you have and make your best guess, and you'll likely still have to put in some work.

I am planning to apply for January 2011 admission in October.

I'm really hoping they do see past my grades. I have heard that people can get in without the necessary marks. It's funny because I called the grad admissions people twice and they were so adamant about the grade cutoff. The second time, I told them that I heard people got in with less but they had no response for me. (Weird?) Anyways, I was scared to apply, but I think I'm going to now. I'm also applying to Calgary b/c they have a program I am interested in with Jan. admission. I have 2 years above 3.7 (but I only took a few credits, I don't know if they care)... I'm currently enrolled in summer school classes to bring up my average even further. All together if you average my last 3 years it is close to 3.7, so I think I'll just a good letter of intent to make them believe in me. I calculated that after these summer courses, my last 15 FCE will be close to 3.7 with my last 10 FCE being right on.

I already have a supervisor (I've also been working with him for about 2 years now - just to comment on the above poster). I think it could really work out with him as my supervisor. He also said he could provide some funding if need be. And I think my research experience thus far has been pretty good... It would be great if I could get in. I really need to start a master's somewhere soon. The only reason I didn't apply for September admission was b/c I wanted to sort of prove to them that I can get higher grades this summer as well. And I also thought they were really strict with the grades thing.

I am planning to apply for January 2011 admission in October.

I'm really hoping they do see past my grades. I have heard that people can get in without the necessary marks. It's funny because I called the grad admissions people twice and they were so adamant about the grade cutoff. The second time, I told them that I heard people got in with less but they had no response for me. (Weird?) Anyways, I was scared to apply, but I think I'm going to now. I'm also applying to Calgary b/c they have a program I am interested in with Jan. admission. I have 2 years above 3.7 (but I only took a few credits, I don't know if they care)... I'm currently enrolled in summer school classes to bring up my average even further. All together if you average my last 3 years it is close to 3.7, so I think I'll just a good letter of intent to make them believe in me. I calculated that after these summer courses, my last 15 FCE will be close to 3.7 with my last 10 FCE being right on.

I already have a supervisor (I've also been working with him for about 2 years now - just to comment on the above poster). I think it could really work out with him as my supervisor. He also said he could provide some funding if need be. And I think my research experience thus far has been pretty good... It would be great if I could get in. I really need to start a master's somewhere soon. The only reason I didn't apply for September admission was b/c I wanted to sort of prove to them that I can get higher grades this summer as well. And I also thought they were really strict with the grades thing.

You shouldn't be scared to apply. If it's true that everyone gets interviewed, than you at least are snagging yourself a chance to show them you are a worthy candidate.

As for your supervisor, some funding is one thing, but you need to make sure he is willing to provide the entire $24 500 if you don't win any external awards. That is a requirement of the department.

Oh I want to ask: Do you think I can use a reference letter from the supervisor I want to work with? I mean I currently work with him, so I dont see any better LOR than one from him. Or do I have to find 3 different professors?

edit: just saw your reply - good to know (funding thing). I will have to let him know. Although I will be applying to CIHR/OGS.

Oh I want to ask: Do you think I can use a reference letter from the supervisor I want to work with? I mean I currently work with him, so I dont see any better LOR than one from him. Or do I have to find 3 different professors?

If I recall correctly, I used one from the supervisor I planned to work with (and did end up working with). She was also a professor at the university and had supervised my undergraduate thesis (forgot about that earlier!) while I worked for her, so that may have made it alright...not sure.

Either way, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get a letter of support from him to supplement your application. You could give it to the interviewer.

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

I recently booked my interview to IMS and I'm a little nervous about it. I was wondering if anyone who has gone through the interview process for the program would be able to give any suggestions as to how they prepared for the interview and/or what types of questions were asked? Also, does anyone know how much they roughly factor in the interview portion in terms of deciding whether to accept you?

Thanks in advance.

Hi again,

Thank you for your response. I'm glad to hear that it is a relaxed interview and that you've had a great experience in the program. If you don't mind me asking, do you remember the length of the interview? Also, a previous student on the thread had stated that they had not heard of any rejections post-interview. Do you feel the same way?

I'm a current grad student in the program. As I recall from my own interview, my interviewer was mostly interested to see if I have a research interest and if I have any supervisors in mind that I'd like to work with. The interview lasted 10mins max, very laid back. Nothing like meds interview.

• 10 years later...

Hi, 

I am considering doing a masters at the IMS before applying to med school. I have a few questions about the experience:

1. I am missing some premed science prerequisites that I need to finish before I apply to med schools. Is it possible for me to complete these during my masters?

2. How heavy is the workload? Will it be manageable to do these science courses (org, bioc, etc.) while enrolled? How many of these courses do you think I could take in addition to the ones required for the masters program?

3. Is it possible to finish the masters in less than 2 years? Is 1 year realistic?