Premed 101 Forums

Class of 2007

Guest dfenst

Guest dfenst

I was perusing the Dalhousie forum and saw that someone posted a "Class of 2007" thread. I thought we should do the same in here. Plus, it might increase the # of hits in this room :P

So, who's coming to McGill in less than 2.5 months?

- Dan:D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bearman14

Hey Dan,

Now that it's official, I guess I can add my name to this list too. :P

Anyone (moderators or other informed sorts) able to tell us what a week-in-the-life-of-a-first-year-mcgill-med-student is like. I tried looking for an old post about this, but couldn't find one, and the McGill site has only the yearly curriculum. I would like to figure out how I can fit in my "dog-walking"!!

Guest medicator007

Bearman,

Since I can't possibly bring myself to study any more tonite.. i'll give you a brief rundown.

Classes for the first year run monday-friday and generally start at 08h30 (though sometimes later, especially in this last "summe" unit where they know we wouldn't come in at 08h30).... in general most days are over by 15h30; with the odd day at 14h30 or 16h30 depending on the unit.

In the first unit the absence of labs means that you spend 6 hours cooped up indoors learning molecular biology while all ur friends are outdoors enjoying august. As you progress deeper in to the curriculum the daylong lectures are often broken up by anatomy labs, histology labs and the odd small group here and there.

Most wednesday afternoons are scheduled for ITP (intro to patient) which is the McGill incarnation of how to be a good sympathetic person/doctor...etc...etc..etc. Which means that in the beginning you will go in all idealistic and may ultimately realize that at certain times it makes for a nice afternoon off or good time to prep for the upcoming exam...... though you may feel differently about ITP, chacun son gout!

Don't really know what else i can tell you.... if you have a more specific question about the schedule feel free to ask!

Medicator

2 more days and this year is over :D

Guest bearman14

Hey Medicator,

I don't expect you to answer this question right away (as I'm sure you're out celebrating the end of exams :P and may need some time to recoup), but I was curious about scholarships/bursaries/financial assistance. I have already submitted for and recieved a small bursary, but how are scholarships allocated? Do you apply for them early in your first year? Are they awarded automatically (i.e. no application)? Any other avenues that you've learned that are good to check out for helping cover education costs? Thanks, and congrats on knocking off the first year!!

Bearman

Guest medicator007

Hey Bearman,

Thanks for the well wishes... we all partied down pretty hardcore last nite (Class 2006 knows how to have fun, and im sure Class 2007 will carry on the tradition)... we'll get you started down that road during orientation!!

As for financial avenues, well it seems that you have already dealt with the bursary route. As for scholarships, I'm really not certain what the deal is. There was never any information made available to me regarding applying for these and having read the list of prizes and awards in the faculty handbook it appears that most of them are given for performance in the various components of medical school. The Quebec government does offer a special bursary program for medical students that offers some serious cash, but last i heard it also came attached with a written commitment to work out in the regions (aka rural Quebec)... the best course of action would be to speak to the financial aid office and see what they can help you with.

As well in the first weeks of class you will have a talk by MD management, which is the financial planning division of the canadian medical association (which most of us joined for a trifle fee that gives u a subscription to CMAJ). Their rep will talk about financial planning for med students, the various opportunities and presumable the new MD Management line of credit.... as well, they also give out the traditional MD management backpacks to all in attendance, which is standardized across canada i'm told so you can tell based on the bags, which many of us use, who is in what class... amusing really.

Hope that helps, as always any questions post them here!

Medicator

Off to go crack the spine on my recently delivered copy of HARRY POTTER!:D

Guest bearman14

Thanks Medicator -- once again you have proven to be a generous well-spring of information.

And getting back to that "Forum vs. Bell Centre" issue, I agree -- GM Place is hardly an attractive name either. What do tickets in the bleeds go for these days in Montreal?

Bearman

Guest medicator007

Your welcome!

Again, if you come up with anything else over the summer feel free to post ur query here. My research this summer is mostly computer based so I will be VERY accessbile here!

Thanks for bringing that hockey topic back up, I wanted to see what ur reply was earlier but i couldn't remember where I had posted it. The Bell centre now has this Molson Ex section up in the bleeds for hockey games. Think tickets run something like $25 a seat (maybe less, i'm not sure since my Saint John Ambulance work allows me to provide first aid at the bell centre and watch the games :D ). Also each section in that section is assigned a player on the canadiens to cheer for and if that player scores then ALL the seats in that section get a coupon for a free beer!

Cheers,

Medicator

Guest Blackbird15

Hey Dan and Co.,

After an excruiciating decision process, I guess I am finally, definitely coming to mcgill in the Fall too! Although I´m from Montreal originally, I´ve never lived downtown before, and I´m super-excited about my happenin´downtown pad :D Think we´ll be able to get any work done living in the heart of Montreal?

take care,

Blackbird

Guest dfenst

I've also never lived d/t and I'm super excited about my pad on Mountain street! I cannot wait for orientation. Apparently the 2006ers really know how to have a good time, so we have to keep the tradition alive!

Dan :smokin

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mdmba2007

Hmm... I hope our class won't consist of three people :P

After a year of the MBA, I can't wait to jump into med-land!

Congrats to all who got accepted - see you in August :hat

Guest jbish

Hi all....I'm also class of 2007 at mcgill. i'll be living at park and prince arthur. i'm from the states...looking forward to o-week,etc. i love to dance so if anyone's ever interested, let me know! see y'all (yes, used to live in texas. no, do not have accent) in a month!

Guest bearman14

Hey mdmba2007 and jbish,

Looking forward to meeting you folks at O-week. I can't dance (got rhythm, but no style), but if anyone is into climbing or other outdoor pursuits, it'd be cool to hook up. I hear there's good paddling around Montreal.

Bearman

ps) mdmba2007, are you OOP? I remember hearing that there was an OOP MD-MBA student starting into the med side this year...

Guest dfenst

bearman,

I like a little climbing myself. I know of an indoor place in Montreal, but if we can get a group of people to find a good outdoor spot, then I'm in.

Dan

Guest medicator007

Dear climbing folks,

A couple of people in our class are pretty hardcore into climbing and so closer to school I can put you in touch with them and I'm sure they can point you in the right directions.

Medicator007

Guest bearman14

Hey Medicator,

Thanks -- there always seems to be a few hardcore outdoorsie people in medicine. I'd totally be interested in meeting some of the second years who share those passions.

How's the reseach project going? Are you doing research in an area you're interested in? I read in the McGill package that they just sent out that there seems to be pretty good options for doing research projects in the summers.

Bearman

Guest medicator007

Hey Bearman,

Remind me as we get closer, or at orientation and I will put you (and any others interested) in contact with the "outdoorsie" people in our class.

The research is going pretty well I must say, it has undergone several transformations and shifts since I began it, but this is the nature of research! My research is in a pretty general area, at home pain control, and so its universally applicable to just about anything I may consider going into later on in my career. As for the summer research opportunities at McGill.... i assume you are referring to the Molson Summer Research Bursary Program. In that case, my caveat to you based on experience is that getting one is NOT A CERTAINTY. This past year they had a HUGE INCREASE in applicants and the program did not get all the usual funding.. so many applicants (myself influded) did not get a bursary. So you may want to make sure you have good backup options if you plan on taking that route.

Cheers,

Medicator

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mdmba2007

Hey bearman,

Yeah, I'm an OOP MD/MBAer. Actually, of the four of us entering med this year, two are OOP, one from the US, and only one is a Montrealer. :P

I'm from BC, so I'd also be interested in the ourdoorsie stuff, although I don't know my "hardcoreness" ;)

See you guys in a few weeks!

Guest mdmba2007

My formative years were spent mostly in Vancouver. I got my BSc from UBC and then moved otu to Montreal. One thing's for sure, enjoy the BC weather while you can... :P

Archived