Premed 101 Forums

LMCC- how did it go?

it was brutal. worst exam i've written. everyone walks out of it feeling like sh*t....because of its adaptive style. i used toronto notes (as did the rest of my class) to study and did USMLE step 2 prep questions...but i found those to be easier than the LMCC.

only consolation is that MOST people pass...

meh. it was tough, but that was expected. studied with toronto notes, old biostats/clin epi lectures from first year, and tons and tons of practice tests.

USMLE 2 questions, as someone else mentioned, were similar though much easier. they get your mind focused on the commonly tested concepts/high yield areas.

I wrote it today. It sucked. Not because it supposedly gets harder - but more because I couldn't tell if it was getting harder or not and kept getting paranoid that I kept on getting everything wrong.

I do agree that all the USMLE2 questions I did were way easier - it really paints a picture with the longer prompt, whereas with the LMCC it's 1-2 sentences and you're expected to know the answer based on that.

Nice to hear about the no ramifications - but pride is at stake of course. Really don't want to tell my program director, "gee thanks for thinking I'd be a great ____ doc and selecting me for your program. I'm actually in the bottom 5% and failed the LMCC. Wow, you just picked a winner. Hope you don't regret your decision!"

I wrote it a few days ago and it was completely random. I found alot of the MCQ, especially some of the population health stuff, to be utterly useless. Do I need to know insignificant things about provincial funding and what is covered under some obscure act? Probably not. I found most of the MCQ and CDM stem questions involved some sort of peds/obgyn scenario.

Some of the CDMs were quite difficult as well. I found it extremely difficult to get through 51 cases, it seemed like they would never end. It probably had something to do with the back breaking pain I was having close to 5pm.

My buddy failed last year and there are no repercussions, other than you can't write the LMCC part 2 until you pass part 1. He said the whole 'getting orders cosigned' is just a scare tactic to make you study. Rewrites are in the fall and you have to pay the $720 again (or whatever it was) and you may have a bruised ego, but nothing more.

The rewrite went fine for him and he said the material and questions didn't change that much. I used Toronto notes and clerkship stuff, as well some of the back to basics lectures our school provides. I bought 'the purple book' that came out this year:

http://www.amazon.ca/Essentials-Canadian-Medical-Licensing-Exam/dp/0781776503

Can't say I thought much about the book. It had some good money points in it but in retrospect I would have focused more on TN and personal notes.

Ya I can't emphasize enough, the Canada qbank that started up this past year is as useless as a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest. Here is the website:

http://www.canadaqbank.com/index.php

Truth be told, any resource claiming to be good for the LMCC probably isn't. The exam is not standardized like the USMLE, so you can't just study the books, do the practice questions, and get a good mark on the exam if you put in the effort. If you are looking for a decent qbank, go with Kaplan or usmleworld.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah so I wrote the exam Friday, honestly the weirdest thing I ever had to write. Very unclear and vague questions and you get the feeling that someone was preparing the questions while having a bachelor party. Just compare them to how well written the usmle questions are and you would know what I mean.

I thought I was supposed to tell if it was getting harder or easier but good luck with that ! At least I couldn't ! Of all the exam, I think I am sure about only 2 or 3 questions !!

and with all honesty this exam does not reflect whatsoever if one knows medicine or not.

I really hope I pass !

Good luck all,

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the "Canada QBank" is unbelievably useless. The questions are very poorly written, the answers are often wrong, and they are clearly American, sometimes with minor changes to make them appear more "Canadian". Really, the best decision I made about the LMCC's was to write in the Toronto-Bay Street site. It was very comfortable, you could get up and walk around at any time, there were snacks and soft drinks available, and the proctors were helpful and friendly.

• 2 weeks later...

if you are in a canadian med school, not much, just make sure to pass it befoe practicing.

If you are an IMG like myself, you need to pass before applying for residency ( at least in Quebec).

By the way, I have the " LMCC II -like" exam next Saturday. It is the NAC OSCE exam, it is only required in Quebec. It is very close to the LMCC part II. Does anyone have any material form previous part 2 exams to review?

Thanks !

• 3 months later...
Ya I can't emphasize enough, the Canada qbank that started up this past year is as useless as a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest. Here is the website:

http://www.canadaqbank.com/index.php

Truth be told, any resource claiming to be good for the LMCC probably isn't. The exam is not standardized like the USMLE, so you can't just study the books, do the practice questions, and get a good mark on the exam if you put in the effort. If you are looking for a decent qbank, go with Kaplan or usmleworld.

I've found lmccexams dot com to have the best mcq's. I tried canada qbank too and I was also incredibly disappointed in the amount of spelling and grammar errors in each question.

lmccexams questions were definitely the most well written and difficult MCCEE prep questions I have seen online, even better than kaplan.

bottom line lmccexams>any other lmcc prep site

canadaqbank<any other lmcc exam prep site

• 5 months later...
does anyone fail this thing??!
When I wrote it 3 years ago, about 5-6 people in my class had failed it. I was dead certain that I failed after writing it, and somehow I passed. I'm not that stupid either, so I can definitely understand how some people might fail it.

Archived