Premed 101 Forums

Advice for PhD applicant

I am interested in figuring out which med schools give preference to applicants with a PhD (or MSc). I am a Northern Ontario resident who is currently working but interested in applying for the 2011 admissions cycle. I know that UofT, Queens and NOSM give preference to graduate degree holders. Does anyone know if there are any non-Ontario med schools that give preference to applicants with grad degrees? It seems like the trend is for med schools to give little to no advantage for grad degree holders. I remember Ottawa and Calgary had a policy that looked at grad applicants in a separate pool but this is no longer the case. I also remember that NOSM use to give +0.2/+0.4 to the GPA for MSc/PhD holders but now it is only +0.2 for graduate degree holders.

My stats are:

UGrad GPA (all 4 years): ~3.3

UGrad GPA (best 2 years): ~3.7

UGrad GPA (dropping lowest marks as per UofT):~3.5

Grad GPA: ~3.9

Research Productivity: 13 publications (9 first author), Reviewer for 5 medical journals, Guest Editor for 1 journal

MCAT: Will give it a shot this summer

Thanks In Advance!

How long have you been in graduate school? 13 publication is really an impressive number unless they're all in tiny journals with nearly no impact factor which I think the admission committees would most likely catch on.

edit: as far as advice, Toronto, Edmonton and NOSM are the only schools handling grad applicants differently though unfortunately, the advantage is very small.

How long have you been in graduate school? 13 publication is really an impressive number unless they're all in tiny journals with nearly no impact factor which I think the admission committees would most likely catch on.

edit: as far as advice, Toronto, Edmonton and NOSM are the only schools handling grad applicants differently though unfortunately, the advantage is very small.

don't forget bout queens

________

Herpes Advice

Thanks for your responses!

As for the journals, the impact factors range from 2-5, so not Science or Nature but still respectable journals.

It looks like UofA, UofT and Queens are the only schools that really like to give advantages to grad students. I also noticed the sticky at the top after I posted my original message.

U of A will provide you with the necessary points regarding your graduate degree; however, they will only supplement your undergraduate GPA with your Grad GPA if you meet their ridiculous criteria of having 18 credits course weight/year during your graduate program. That last criteria is bizarre because there is no thesis based Canadian graduate program that fits that criteria. Hopefully U of A is on your bottom list of schools, considering your Ph.D. and research record. Perhaps Toronto would be a better fit.

U of A will provide you with the necessary points regarding your graduate degree; however, they will only supplement your undergraduate GPA with your Grad GPA if you meet their ridiculous criteria of having 18 credits course weight/year during your graduate program. That last criteria is bizarre because there is no thesis based Canadian graduate program that fits that criteria. Hopefully U of A is on your bottom list of schools, considering your Ph.D. and research record. Perhaps Toronto would be a better fit.

Wow, my department doesn't have even enough classes for someone to do that if they were crazy enough to want to!

Archived