Premed 101 Forums

How to prepare for a research position interview?

JOy

research interviews are generally pretty chill. maybe its best to brush up on some lab knowledge i.e. techniques. also be sure to read some papers published by that lab

I just got an interview for a research position tomorrow and I am now nervous. I want to do well and hopefully get it. Any tips will be very much appreciated!

It's an interview like any other interview. Dress nice (don't overdress with a tux, but a good clean dress shirt/blouse and nice pants/skirt work just fine usually). What you wear once in the lab might be grubby, but you are setting a precedent for who you are with that first meeting. Dressing down comes with production in the lab. Mind you, if you are one of those research savants coming in with loads of experience and can really talk shop with the PI, you could probably show up in less...but that would require some very extensive prior knowledge between one another first.

be natural... do a little bit of research into the lab, know the background knowledge of the lab. If he asks you a question about what you know about what the lab is doing, be general. Unless you have prior experience, spouting studies and results that you dont fully understand will lead to your downfall.

be natural... do a little bit of research into the lab, know the background knowledge of the lab. If he asks you a question about what you know about what the lab is doing, be general. Unless you have prior experience, spouting studies and results that you dont fully understand will lead to your downfall.

LMAO. I remember spouting studies I had no idea about in front of my supervisor. LOL. I would ALWAYS remember the full name of the study but NEVER the authors. LOL. So I would say a full out title and he would be like "who wrote it?" and i would be like "some guy... i think his name starts with a C" LMAO... I still do it and he laughs every time. hahaha :o

Yeah they're usually really chill. I went in jeans and a blazer to both of mine this year, but I think as long as you look decent, it'll be fine.

My biggest suggestion, like UTPEOPLE said, would be to read up on the prof/doctor's research beforehand and get a general feel, and just relax and be yourself.

good luck!!

Be sure to read a couple of papers from the lab, and make sure you can answer the "why do you want to work in our lab" question. While dressing casually won't kill your chances, be on the safe side and dress up a bit. It can't hurt, and it shows that you're professional and care about the position. If the lab works with patients / research subjects, they're likely to be a bit more formal (i.e. no socks + sandals ;) ), and even more so if it's at a company.

Memorize IR spectra..... The minute you stumble over the difference between a nitrile and alkyne stretch, you're out.....

Or look into the research being done by the lab, know why your interested in it, and present yourself as personable and somewhat professional.

Either will get you in the door.

Thank you everyone! I am doing my research into what the supervisor is studying. I asked for details about the position but she did not want to tell me. So I will look into general lab stuff and the topics she is studying. Thanks again! Wish me luck! =) I will dress like I would for a job interview but yea nothing overkill.

JOy, If you've already done your interview, I hope it went well!

But if you haven't... I actually just did an interview for a research position on Tuesday. I got a "back-up research" position so if the person they chose is sick or declines I'll get it, so maybe don't take all the tips from me... but I do think the interview went quite well. This was for SWEP (Student Work Experience Program) with the federal government.

Besides from the "how much experience?" do you have questions, they asked me A LOT of scenario type questions. Things like what I would do if something went wrong in an experiment, what would I do if I forgot some equipment, things like that. They also asked me if I had a valid driver's license and if I am eligible to rent a car. The researchers were really nice and quick with their reply. I think the main thing they were concerned about with me was I just finished first year and would be working alone most of the time haha. With me and my little experience they didn't want to ruin their chances of a perfect experiment (understandable). Hope this helps! ;)

Some of you go to interviews with jeans??? :confused:

For all my research interviews, I've gone in with a full suit, resume and transcript in hand, notebook to write down stuff during the interview, always very formal?

Wow, some of you have a lot of balls, lol (maybe in a good way?). Maybe I'm just too uptight. But then again, I have gotten several great research positions from undergrad to now (currently working full time at one of the big Toronto Hospitals).

Archived