Premed 101 Forums

Interview Letters

Guest sunshinelollipop

Guest sunshinelollipop

For those of you still wondering, I called admissions offices today at UdM and Usherbrooke.

UdM told me that the interviews for univ. students are throughout the month of march, so for those of us who haven't received anything from this univ, we haven't been rejected YET!!:D

Usherbrooke told me that since the aptitude test is on April 17th, all letters (univ and cegep students) will be sent out around 2 weeks before that date, so I guess first week of April, we should receive the letters

Guest noncestvrai

I have sent an email to universite Laval, they replied that my file was being examined and I should get an answer by the end of the month. Come on, they just have to look at my grades I did not send my bio or anything yet...

Ok, back to thesis writing.

noncestvrai

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cutieyellow

Noncestvrai,

J'ai une amie qui vient tout juste de recevoir sa lettre de convocation a l'autobio la semaine passe (et dire que mes autres amis avaient deja eu la leurs A REMETTRE la semaine auparavant!). J'imagine que Laval envoie donc ses reponses en 'batch'.

J'ai aussi des amis qui n'ont pas encore recus de reponse de l'U de M...tandis que je sais que certains ont deja eu leurs entrevues...

Guest noncestvrai

J'ai recu ma lettre de refus aujourd'hui de l'Universite Laval, je ne comprends pas comment l'UdeM m'inviterait a l'entrevue et pas l'Universite Laval...pour moi ca n'a pas de sens, je n'y comprends rien a cette cote R...seulement j'ai un GPA de 3.5 au bac et 4.0 en maitrise. La seule chose pourrait etre que l'UdeM regarde mes notes de maitrise aussi, et pas Laval...

Si c'est le cas, alors la bravo a l'Universite Laval, que j'aie eu 2.0 ou 4.0 pendant les 2 dernieres annees ne fait aucune difference pour eux?

noncestvrai

Guest cutieyellow

Je suis désolée pour ton refus. Espérons que ton application à Montréal soit un succès!

Je ne sais pas trop quoi te dire en ce qui concerne l'U Laval, je ne peux que te raconter cette petite histoire qui m'est arrivé il y a 2 ans. Lorsque je suis sortie de mon bac (GPA 3.8), j'ai appliqué, entre autres (darn Ontario schools), aux trois universités francophones. J'ai eu l'entrevue de Montréal, le TAAMUS de Sherbrooke, mais j'ai été refusé à Laval sur la base que ma cote n'était pas assez élevée. Ensuite, je rencontre un ami à l'entrevue de Montréal, qui lui, a reçu Montréal (évidemment), et Laval, mais un refus immédiat de Sherbrooke. Logique dans tout ça ? Finalement, après un refus de Mtl, une liste d'attente et un refus subséquent de Sherbrooke, j'ai entamé des études en Pharmacie à l'UDM. Mon GPA 3.4 après une session, (3.6 après l'année mais c'était pas considéré au moment de l'application) et pourtant, APS à Laval, entrevue à UdM et TAAMUS à Sherbrooke pour finalement être en liste d'attente partout et accepté subséquemment à Laval. Sérieux, je ne comprendrai jamais.

Enfin, ma seule théorie sur le fait que tu aies été refusé de Laval est que ta cote de 4.0 en maitrise n'a pas été donné un très haut % de tes notes total. De plus, puisque la CRU fonctionne par rapport à la moyenne, la moyenne des gens en maitrise a due être très élevée, rendant ta note pas très compétitive. :eek

CY

Guest noncestvrai
Enfin, ma seule théorie sur le fait que tu aies été refusé de Laval est que ta cote de 4.0 en maitrise n'a pas été donné un très haut % de tes notes total. De plus, puisque la CRU fonctionne par rapport à la moyenne, la moyenne des gens en maitrise a due être très élevée, rendant ta note pas très compétitive.

J'ai la meilleure moyenne possible de mon programme 4.0/4.0 (>90), dont un cours gradue conjoint avec les etudiants en medecine a McGill a 93% le plus pres a eu 88 %, moyenne autour de 70-75%. C'est un des plus grand programme de neurosciences au monde (150-200 etudiants).

Ca c'est juste mes notes, pas mes publications, bourses de recrutement et FRSQ, activites parascolaires, benevolat...etc.

Je vais contacter le bureau des admissions, parce que ca me purge royalement leur systeme. C'est une maitrise contingentee, pas facile a obtenir une note parfaite, en plus de la recherche etc.

J'espere avoir mon admission a Mtl, meme si je ne l'ai pas, ils vont manger un mechant char a Quebec, rien contre les etudiants de la Fac la.

noncestvrai

Guest cutieyellow

Tu me donneras des nouvelles, je suis très curieuse sur les raisons qu'ils vont te donner sur le pourquoi de ton refus. J'ai toujours trouvé le processus d'admission comme une lotterie... On n'y comprends rien.

Guest allycat03

Noncestvrai,

I also got refused for Laval. My undergrad Gpa was 3.6, and my grad was also the highest possible. I think it is because the grad grades mean very little in the CRU, when they sent me my letter it was calculated to be 31.5. I thought it would be low, maybe 32.5 (still not enough to get a request, but still!) People applying to Mcgill already got their responses! They are so lucky! Why does UdM have to wait until May 15th? That is so long.

Guest noncestvrai

Allycat,

I am sorry to hear that, since I am in a very similar situation. What bummed me even more was that they don't look at your grad grades at all, and given that I was not finished with my degree at the time of application they would not grant me full bonus for my Masters...

What can I do, I mean I tried my best, I could not have done better gradewise.

Are you serious about UdeM...not before May 15th?

However, this wait can lead to incalculable joy...after so much rejection.

noncestvrai

Guest allycat03

Noncestvrai,

I was unhappy, but I haven't finished my degree either so I am in the same boat. About the may 15th, the man in charge of admissions came to talk to my group while we were waiting to do our individual interview and he said that the decision is sent out on the 15th and we would know on the 16th via internet (but it depends when they update it) He said that there is an interuniversity agreement about this (although he mentioned that every year Mcgill jumps ahead) and that this year laval asked for a five day grace period, so potentially the 21st or later. I hate the waiting! I only have one school so there is only 1 chance. Keep you fingers crossed, hopefully we both get in!

Guest noncestvrai

Hey there,

I just called the admission guy at Laval, he says schools have different ways of calculating the "cote R", grad grades not going in the blablabla...

Unless I saved the world, there is no way I could have got past their cut this year, unless I do some more school next year neither, which is not going to happen hopefully.

If we both get in at UdeM, I will buy you a drink, for sure.

I feel like princess Lea with this UdeM application...my only hope...

May the force be with you Ally.

noncestvrai

Guest allycat03

Noncestvrai,

Blablabla is right. You would think they could give us a little something since we are about three months away from getting the master's degree! Definitely call for celebration if we get in. No more school. A master's is more then enough schooling. Stay positive! I have my down moments, but I have a feeling I am going to go up and down for the next month and a half!

Guest cutieyellow

I'm sorry you guys didn't make it this year at U Laval. As i've told you before, this is definitely quite a capricious school. No idea why they accepted me last year. Must of been under a lucky star! Good luck with the rest of the application process, hope you both get in at Montreal !

CY

Guest sunshinelollipop

Hey all,

I just checked on the university of Montreal website for my status and it says that I got refused.

They say that they refused anyone with a CRG between 5.000 and 36.855 which I highly doubt!!!!! 36.855?!!?!?!?!?

That's too high!!!!!

anyways, I think the real reason is that I'm only a 2nd year undergraduate student, they probably want me to get my bachelor's degree.

I still have my fingers crossed for University of Sherbrooke!!!

Guest noncestvrai

Hey Sun,

I think they take like 2 2nd years at UdeM, not surprising that CRU if you think about it, must be lower for completed bachelors though.

Thanks CY for the wishes, now the 1 month 1/2 waiting game...

noncestvrai

Guest cutieyellow

I remember when i applied, my CRU for U de M was a lot higher than the CRU for U Laval. I think they used different factors to calculate it (?!:\ ) At U of M, my CRU was like approx 5 pts higher than at U Laval. Hope this helps.

CY

Guest FrenchyMed

I just checked the U de M site and I too have been refused :( , although it was no big surprise (i.e. no interview).

Je suis extrêmement confuse parce que ma lettre de refus indique que j'ai fait une demande au programme 1-450-4-0 qui est l'année préparatoire au programme MD, ce qui est faux! J'ai fait application au programme 1-450-1-0...

Je détiens une maitrise en génie biomédical et j'ai complété tous les cours de sciences prérequis donc je ne vois vraiment pas pourquoi je devrais compléter une année préparatoire...

Je vais contacter l'université pour avoir des détails.

Very strange!!!

Guest noncestvrai

Comment ca s'est passe ton entrevue Frenchymed a Ottawa?

Au moins tu as une entrevue a Ottawa, moi ils m'ont envoye une lettre sans explication et n'en donneront pas plus, compte toi chanceuse de l'objectivite de l'UdeM pour ses entrevues, tu sais a quoi t'attendre, il n'y a pas de zones grises comme a Ottawa.

noncestvrai

Guest FrenchyMed

noncestvrai-

mon entrevue à Ottawa était assez bizarre. J'ai eu plusieurs questions "non-traditionnelles" pour une entrevue en médecine. À plus d'une reprise, je me suis demandée où on voulait en venir et qu'elle "qualité" on essayait de détecter chez moi. J'ai réalisé plus tard (en cherchant le nom des membres de mon panel d'entrevue sur Google) qu'aucun d'entre-eux n'est même un M.D.! :eek Je ne comprends pas trop pourquoi ils ont fait partie du processus... L'an dernier je me suis sentie vraiment confiante après mon entrevue et j'ai été placée sur le "mauvaise" liste d'attente. J'espère que cette année, mes doutes ne se matérialiseront pas et que je recevrai un courriel d'admission le 28 mai.

Pour UdeM, on me dit que mon CRG est de 30.6. Je n'ai aucune idée comment ils calculent ça! Je pense que je me suis fait "fourrer" (en bon français) par le fait que j'ai étudié en Ontario...

Ils ont aussi considéré qu'un bacc d'une maîtrise en génie n'équivaut pas un bacc en sciences de la vie. C'est vraiment chiant parce que j'ai complété (en plus des cours requis pour mon bacc) 2 ans 1/2 du programme de biochimie et des cours en médecine expérimentale et nursing.

Je pense que chaque université privilégie de personnes de leur choix. Maintenant, il s'agit de déterminer dans quelles université on a une chance d'être accepté et d'oublier les autres. Pour moi, Ottawa semble l'endroit où mes chances sont les plus élevées (sans MCAT). Toi, tu possèdes des qualités qui intéresse Montréal. Et McMaster... Who knows!!!:b

Guest sunshinelollipop

Hey FrenchyMed,

Mes condoléances pour ton refus, welcome to the side of the rejects...:\

Can you tell me what was written as the cut off rate of the CRG in your refusal letter?

thanks

Guest FrenchyMed

The cut-off was 32.350 for the 1-450-4-0 program (année préparatoire).

I'm assuming that the cut-off for the M.D. program was higher.

So, my 30.596 score looks pretty pitiful. :rolleyes I am not used to this type of "GPA". Is this a really low score?? I'm not saying that I was a stright A student (I did stray in my first year), but I thought that my marks were decent. I wonder if they looked at my grad marks...

Guest sunshinelollipop

Hey Frenchymed,

Only in quebec you get this weird grading system.

It is supposed to compare you to the rest of the people in your class AND to the rest of people in the province doing the same program (I think...cuz that's what was CRG in CEGEP)...

Anyhow, I think the grading system with the CRG isn't good at all. I went to a really hard private CEGEP, so since everyone was a nerd (or close), I ended up getting average grades, which screwed up my CRG; I ended up with 30CRG with an 80% overall average.

Now in university, I manage to get straight A's (with a 3.92/4.00 GPA) and my CRG has skyrocketed to 34.5. I study less, and I get better grades, so I'm assuming that if I had gone to an "easier" CEGEP (without naming names), I would have gotten a better CRG since I would've gotten a better average compared to the rest of the class and I would have gotten in medschool immediately without bypassing from an undergraduate program.

Anywho, enough complaining...30.596 isn't actually that bad. I think the CRG of an "average" person is around 25-26, so you are 5 pts higher than the average, but I guess it's not enough to go to UdeM med school. The rating system sucks big time. I know a lot of bookworms who shouldn't be even in medschool and they are in it, and even more capable people who COULD become great doctors who are refused.

There's something wrong with the grading system, I'm sure the schools know it to, but they don't have a solution since they get over 2000 applications/year; they have to have a cut off rate somewhere...

I don't know if I answered your question, but I felt like saying that, and that was my 2 cents! :D

Guest sunshinelollipop

I got my TAAMUS (for U de Sherbrooke) invitation today by mail!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Guest FrenchyMed

Excellent news sunshine!!! Congratulations! :D

I don't think my odds are very good. :( I guess I'll find out when I get home tonight...

Guest noncestvrai

Congrats sunshine,

Sherbrooke is a nice city, close to the woods, the CHUS is about 20 min form downtown. They have a good programme, I would love to go there, but I expect the rejection letter as they seem to be on par with ULaval for their policies of admission.

Will you finish your degree anyhow if you get in?

noncestvrai

Archived