Premed 101 Forums

should i give up?

rani_wish

Hi ya'll

I screwed up my first smester due to final exams in Biochem. I have a gpa around 2.8 n complelted with a bad gpa. I am really depresssed and scared because my dreams are shattering of doing Med school. I killed myself this smester. I am thinking of changing programs which required a 3.0 gpa and now taking electives next smester to get that gpa so i can atleast switch.

so far i took 4 scince which i got C+ C+ C+ and a B+ and i got a A+ in my elective.

Any suggestions on what i can do to bring my gpa up and working hard to attain it. I have 5 smesters to go and i think i can do it. Do i have hope still?

no you shouldnt give up. i wont lie its a bad semester and from now on it will be an extremely uphill battle, but it can be done.

where do you have residency? do you speak french?

some schools only look at 2 years and some weigh the later years heavier for GPA consideration. additionally you can also pursue an extra year of study to boost your GPA after graduating.

point is there is still hope. you will simply have to work at it. work at identifying everything, what went wrong, why it went wrong, how you can improve, and even some of the things that may have went right.

i graduated from biochem, whether you plan to stay in the program or change to another science program there is still a large amount of overlap between science programs. so if you have any questions or comments, or would like to discuss anything further i'd be more than willing to help. i also struggled my first year and found ways to improve so maybe i can help out.

you can pm me if you'd like.

Depends whether you think you can raise your grades or not.

You better change your study habits in a major way. It is easy to say "I know I can bring up my GPA" and it is another thing to do it.

You should not give up after 1 semester, but you should seriously question why you did so poorly. Science/medicine is not for everybody.

Figure out what went wrong in order to fix it.

no you shouldnt give up. i wont lie its a bad semester and from now on it will be an extremely uphill battle, but it can be done.

where do you have residency? do you speak french?

some schools only look at 2 years and some weigh the later years heavier for GPA consideration. additionally you can also pursue an extra year of study to boost your GPA after graduating.

point is there is still hope. you will simply have to work at it. work at identifying everything, what went wrong, why it went wrong, how you can improve, and even some of the things that may have went right.

i graduated from biochem, whether you plan to stay in the program or change to another science program there is still a large amount of overlap between science programs. so if you have any questions or comments, or would like to discuss anything further i'd be more than willing to help. i also struggled my first year and found ways to improve so maybe i can help out.

you can pm me if you'd like.

Thank-you sooo much for the advice, It really consoled me. It just that it was my first smester and I screwed up my finals having back to back and not knowing how they are like. on top of that Family problems came raining on my life. Oh well past is past i cant fix it but i can improve my future.

I am not giving up. I am thinking of switching out program since I didnt enjoy my courses at all i studied hard and not enjoyed it. Taking electives all next smester to boost up my gpa and to switch out.

However, Does mcgill accept 4 courses per smester as i will run out of electives :S and I will have to take 4 science at a point.

Do other med schools accept 4 science courses or they have to full time.??? I know mcmaster is one of them they dont care about the full course load.

Thank-you sooo much for the advice, It really consoled me. It just that it was my first smester and I screwed up my finals having back to back and not knowing how they are like. on top of that Family problems came raining on my life. Oh well past is past i cant fix it but i can improve my future.

I am not giving up. I am thinking of switching out program since I didnt enjoy my courses at all i studied hard and not enjoyed it. Taking electives all next smester to boost up my gpa and to switch out.

However, Does mcgill accept 4 courses per smester as i will run out of electives :S and I will have to take 4 science at a point.

Do other med schools accept 4 science courses or they have to full time.??? I know mcmaster is one of them they dont care about the full course load.

perhaps looking at things this way may help. either way to get into med you will have to excel academically, so why not start now. if you do the math it is still possible to obtain a respectable GPA, but it will be an uphill battle.

all i know is most schools require a full course load.

if you plan on changing your major to another science program, just keep in mind that there is very little difference in first year courses. at this point i dont think you've really had any biochem courses, maybe bioc 214 but then again that class also has a large overlap with other majors.

anyways good luck.

Archived