Premed 101 Forums

Is a visa required to do an elective in France?

Guest success100

A "Visa Étudiant" should be required,i guess you will understand since you're qualified enough to go to a french speaking country!

Hey, anyone know if a visa is required to do an elective in France?

Go habs go.

Got this from a site that was written by med students (in the UK) but to be 100% sure it would prob be your best bet to contact France's Visa office? Only reason being that maybe visa is not required from EU countries whereas if you are from N America one might be necessary?

http://archive.student.bmj.com/back_issues/1099/life/375.html

To spend an elective working in France, no visa or work permits are necessary. The other great bonus is that the Medical Defence Union and Medical Protection Society covering us for indemnity in this country can extend their services to Europe for the cost of a phone call. Being so close to home is definitely an advantage; getting there is really cheap, even if you fly. If you have any intention of seeing something of the country it is really worth taking a car--the ferry is cheap and the quality of the French autoroutes is excellent. Cash cards with a Cirrus symbol work, as do mobile phones, but remember to lift the international bar before you leave home.

One word of warning: in order to get the most out of the working part of your elective it is necessary to be reasonably fluent in French. If your grasp of the language extends about as far as ordering a couple of beers then you are unlikely to be able to overcome the language barrier when communicating with patients, which would be limiting and frustrating. Admittedly a lot of the population speak good English, but you are far more likely to experience that "Gallic charm" if you can be seen to be making an effort with the language.

I'm pretty sure that you don't need a visa to travel through EU countries when you are a EU citizen. I don't have an answer to the question, but most likely, you would need a visa. In fact I am almost certain that you need a student visa. I would imagine that if there is a position that you qualify for that the VISA process probably isn't too excruciating.

Archived